"The Island of Pythagoras" Top 5 Page for this destination Samos by Jannice48
Samos Travel Guide: 116 reviews and 313 photos
Samos is situated in the centre of the Aegean and it lies very close to the coast of Asia Minor, the channel which separates it from Turkey to which it was joined until earthquakes brought about a separation. Samos along with other Greek Islands has picturesque old ports and fine beaches along with rugged mountain scenery to offer its visitors. I would say that Samos is an Island for people looking for a quiet relaxing holiday not for people looking for lively night life. The town of Samos (Vathy) is the capital of the Island and stands in the North East corner of the Island. The town has a population of 5,500 and is a mixture of old and new buildings. From the town you can get buses and taxis to Karlovasi the second largest town and harbour on Samos. Boats also run from Samos to other Islands such as Piraeus, Dodecanese and Thessalonika and during the summer months to Kusadasi (Ephesus) in Turkey. The reason Samos is called the Island of Pythagoras is because it is the birthplace of the famous philosopher, mathematician and musician Pythagoras..
The statue of Pythagoras greets you at the Harbour of Pythagoreio. The inscription on the bottom of the statue when translated says "Pythagoras the Samosan".
Today Pythagoreio is fast growing and is the main tourist resort on the Island. Along the harbour front you will find many tavernas, coffee shops, tourist shops and tables set out under the trees on one side, and its fishermen and yachts of all sizes on the other which at twilight creates a special atmosphere
Samos has some of the most beautiful beaches in the East Aegean. There are beaches to suit everyone's taste, from the busy beaches with tavernas, bars and entertainment, beaches suitable for water sports to the nice secluded beaches (in my opinion the nicest) where you can just relax and unwind. The cove of Aigianni was one of my favourites which we found while we were touring the south west coast of Samos. After a very bumpy but beautiful journey along dirt track we came across this cove which is hidden below the Monastery of Agh.Ioannou Eleimonos
We only went here one night during our holiday but the staff were very friendly and the cocktails worth trying. They... more travel advice
Jannice48's Related Pages
Samos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Samos - For The Scenery"
- "The Island of Pythagoras"
- "Northern accents in southern Aegean"
- "Samos 2004"
- "Not so pretty"
- "Sun, Sea, Stunning scenery Samos has it all"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Samos
- Hotels in Samos
- Transportation in Samos
- Nightlife in Samos
- Restaurants in Samos
- Shopping in Samos
- Warnings and Dangers in Samos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Samos
- 9 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Samos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samos
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Cefalonia Intro, 14 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samos Intro, 9 reviews, 30 photos
- Skopelos Intro, 9 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wolverhampton Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lefkas Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calpe Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos
- Madeira Island Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos