"Wolverhampton" Top 5 Page for this destination Wolverhampton by Jannice48
Wolverhampton Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 56 photos
I was born in Wolverhampton and live in the area of Tettenhall. Wolverhampton is an industrial, commercial and University City in the borough of West Midlands, traditionally it is part of the county of Staffordshire. It was officially awarded its city status on January 31st 2001 making it one of the three "Millennium Cities"The city was named after Lady Wulfruna who founded the town in 985, the name coming from Anglo Saxon Wulfruneheantun (Wulfruna's High Town). The city motto is "Out of darkness cometh Light". One of the most famous sites in the city is that of Prince Albert on his horse. It was constructed by sculptor. Mr Thorneycroft of London and took him four years to complete. Queen Vicotoria not only lent him the uniform worn by Prince Albert, but also his horse. The Queen attended the unveling of the statue in the town. The city lies northwest of Birmingham, it falls outside the area traditionally known as the Black Country. There is a lot of history in Wolverhampton and surrounding areas which I will try and tell you about as I develop my pages
Wolverhampton is not as large as some cities in comparison to nearby Birmingham but is slowly being redeveloped bringing back to life some of the older areas that have been allowed to run down. The main shopping area of Wolverhampton is the shopping centre which is split into two, both have recently been refurbished. The main part being the Mander Centre as shown in picture which was originally owned by the Mander Family and is packed with high street names and the other being the Wulfrun Centre which is also packed with hight street names, they both have multi story car parks. Most of the City has been pedestrianised i.e Dudley Street and Victoria Street giving safer access for its shoppers
This is the football club for Wolverhampton Wanderers mostly referred to by it's shortened name of "Wolves." The club has four stands, three of which are named after legendary players: Billy Wright, Steve Bull and Stan Cullis and the fourth one after former director Jack Harris. The statue you can see at the front is in memory of Billy Wright who played for the team from 1939 to 1959 becoming club captain. He won the first division title with Wolves three times (1954, 1958 and 1959) and the FA cup in 1949. His disciplinary record during his 541appearances for Wolves and 105 for England for which he was captain for their campaigns 1950, 1954 and 1958 world cup finals was second to none, he was never cautioned or sent off by any referee. Wolves have finished 7th in the Championship league 2005-2006 failing to qualify for the playoffs due to too many drawn games.
It has been a long time since I had been in the Westacre the last time being about 5 years ago with my friends from... more travel advice
I have put the Crooked House on the off the beaten track instead of places to visit because that is exactly where it... more travel advice
Jannice48's Related Pages
Wolverhampton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wolves football match"
- "Bonio's day in Wolverhampton"
- "THE BIRCHY'S DO WOLVERHAMPTON"
- "Wolverhampton the UK centre of culture."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wolverhampton
- Hotels in Wolverhampton
- Transportation in Wolverhampton
- Nightlife in Wolverhampton
- Restaurants in Wolverhampton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wolverhampton
- 8 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Wolverhampton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wolverhampton
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Cefalonia Intro, 14 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samos Intro, 9 reviews, 30 photos
- Skopelos Intro, 9 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wolverhampton Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lefkas Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calpe Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos
- Madeira Island Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos