"North Northumberland" Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland by Jannice48
Northumberland Travel Guide: 363 reviews and 1,145 photos
The small picturesque village of Bamburgh was once the ancient Capital of Northumbria and it is the home of the famous Castle which dominates the Northumbria landscape and has been described as the finest Castle in England. Bamburgh is also the last resting place of Northumbria's most famous heroine Grace Darling who was born in 1815 and the daughter of the keeper of Longstone Lighthouse on the Farne Islands. Grace and her father were successful in rescuing 9 out of the 39 passengers from the wreck of the steamship Forfarshire which was bound for Dundee, when they rowed a boat through a storm to the scene of the shipwreck. Grace died from Tuberculosis in 1842 and she is buried in in St Aidens churchyard which is opposite the RNLI's museum that commenorates her bravery and has the rowing boat amongst other mementos that they used on display. The village has a variety of restaurants, pub and gift shops
Seahouses is a small seaside resort and busy fishing harbour. The fish are still cured and and smoked there and if you make the worthwhile visit to Swallow Fish Smokehouse you will be able to buy a dressed crab or kippers. The Grace Darling lifeboat is now back at Seahouses after it has had its 5 year refit at the Isle of Wight Boatyard where she was built. Visitors to Seahouses can catch one of the many highly recommended boat trips across to the Farne Islands where you can see large colonies of birds including grey seals, puffins and other fine sea birds. It is just nice to sit there watching the daily activities of the harbour
Holy Island also known by its Anglo Saxon name Lindisfarne is accessable via a tidal causeway. It has a population of just over 150 people but the influx of over 500.000 visitors from all over the world make the island very busy especially during the summer months. There is lots to see on the Island and is very popular for birdwatchers, walkers, fishing parties and artists. Always check the times of the tides before making your journey across otherwise you may find youself having to wait quite a while to make the return journey. There is so much to see so I will write some more about the Island on my Travel Tips for you to read
- Pros:Area of outstanding natural beauty with breathtaking scenery
- Cons:North Sea very cold
Holy Island (Lindisfarne) is only accessible by crossing a causeway at low tide. As you approach the causeway you will... more travel advice
Jannice48's Related Pages
Northumberland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Glorious Northumberland"
- "Northumberland - Northen Edge Of England"
- "North Northumberland"
- "Walking Hadrian's Wall"
- "England’s Border country"
- "England's Most Northerly County"
- "Ben-UK's Northumberland page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northumberland
- Hotels in Northumberland
- Transportation in Northumberland
- Nightlife in Northumberland
- Restaurants in Northumberland
- Shopping in Northumberland
- Warnings and Dangers in Northumberland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northumberland
- 7 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Northumberland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northumberland
Photos in NorthumberlandSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Cefalonia Intro, 14 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Samos Intro, 9 reviews, 30 photos
- Skopelos Intro, 9 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wolverhampton Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lefkas Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calpe Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos
- Madeira Island Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Northumberland hotels
- Berwick-Upon-Tweed Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 151 Photos
- Alnwick Hotels
- 33 Reviews - 96 Photos
- Morpeth Hotels
- 1 Review
- Hexham Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 82 Photos
- Bamburgh Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 43 Photos
- Seahouses Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 23 Photos
- Lindisfarne Hotels
- 87 Reviews - 247 Photos
- Haltwhistle Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 5 Photos
- Dunstanburgh Castle Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Corbridge Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Blyth Hotels
- 2 Hotels