"Manhattan aan de Maas" Rotterdam by elPierro
Rotterdam Travel Guide: 1,424 reviews and 3,807 photos
Rotterdam is also known as "Manhattan aan de Maas" (Manhattan at the Maas river), no surprise because the highest buildings of the country can be found here.
Rotterdam was the first city in Europe to have an "American" Center, with highrise buildings everywhere in the citycenter. Currently more cities like Frankfurt and Warsaw have similar centers.
The reason for all this highrise is easy, Rotterdam was completely destroyed by the Germans at start of WW2. Threathening the same faith for Amsterdam and other cities, the Netherlands capitulated to the Germans.
After the war, Rotterdam was 1 big open space ready for construction. Nowadays it's a modern city with one of the worlds largest seaports stretching from Rotterdam (and even further inland) to the Northsea 40km further down the Maas and Rhine rivers.
Today Rotterdam is the 2nd largest city in the country after Amsterdam, but the Metropolitan Area is the countries largest with over 1,5mln inhabitants.
The Fast Forward Dance Parade is based on the Love Parade In Berlin. Though many other cities have their copies of their... more travel advice
On of the most famous bridges in the Netherlands is the Erasmusbridge. Also known as the Swan. The suspensionbridge... more travel advice
elPierro's Related Pages
Rotterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rotterdam, the most vibrant Dutch city !"
- "Rotterdam - Ik ben een 010er!"
- "Rotterdam: new territory for tourists"
- "Rotterdam a BIG small city"
- "Rotterdam, harbour city."
- "Rotterdam: Architecture Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rotterdam
- Hotels in Rotterdam
- Transportation in Rotterdam
- Nightlife in Rotterdam
- Restaurants in Rotterdam
- Shopping in Rotterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Rotterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rotterdam
- 5 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Rotterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rotterdam
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 29 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 21 reviews, 17 photos
- Riga Intro, 18 reviews, 20 photos
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roermond Intro, 21 reviews, 10 photos
- Seoul Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos
- Madrid Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Budapest Intro, 14 reviews, 11 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos