"The Rock in Australia" Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) by Restless-in-kl
Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Travel Guide: 460 reviews and 1,271 photos
Even from a distance, Ayers Rock or Uluru (its Aboriginal name) is very impressive. Named after the Premier of South Australia, Sir Henry Ayers, it extends down over 3 and a half miles beneath the surface. It's also more than 318 m (986 ft) high and 8 km (5 miles) around.
Approximately 500 million years ago it was part of the ocean floor at the center of Australia. Depending on the time of day and the atmospheric conditions, the rock can dramatically change color, anything from blue to violet to glowing red, making it a delight for photographers all over the world.
This park where Ayers Rock is located, is owned and run by the local Aboriginals. As you walk slowly around it, there is a sense of mystery, history and sacredness. It is no wonder that the Aboriginals are strongly protective of this magnificent wonder.
The Aborigines believe that there it is hollow below ground, and that there is an energy source that they call 'Tjukurpa' the dream time.
Ayers Rock (Mount Uluru) is inhabited by dozens of ancestral 'beings' whose activities are recorded at many other sites. At each site, the events that took place can be recounted, whether those events were of significance or whether the ancestral being just rested at a certain place before going on.
Usually, there is a physical feature of some form at each ancestral site which represents both the activities of the ancestral being at the time of its formation and the living presence of Tjukurpa within that physical feature today. For the Australian Aboriginal people, that physical feature, whatever its form or appearance, animate or inanimate, is the Tjukurpa. It may be a rock, a sand hill, a grove of trees, a cave. For all of these, the creative essence remains forever within the physical form or appearance.
Often overshadowed by Ayers Rock, Kings Canyon located in Watarrka National Park has an interesting landscape that's desert-like with steep canyons, rock formations and interesting flora and fauna.
- Pros:One of a kind formation with rich mystical stories
- Cons:Very expensive accommodation with limited choices
- In a nutshell:A sight to behold
Its beauty is found in the subtly of the land. The brilliant sunsets of the bush, as well as the crystal clear night... more travel advice
Ayers Rock is a large sandstone formation. It's rich, orche colour leaves stains on unsuspecting visitor's shoes and... more travel advice
Restless-in-kl's Related Pages
Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "G'Day from the Red Centre"
- "IMPREXXION: YULARA-ULURU"
- "Living at `The Rock`"
- "The Red and Hot Centre"
- "Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Watarrka NP"
- "Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park"
- "Uluru National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Hotels in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Transportation in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Nightlife in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Restaurants in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Shopping in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- Warnings and Dangers in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
- 10 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
Photos in Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)See All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Bali Intro, 37 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Maldives Intro, 11 reviews, 76 photos, 7 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 30 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kyoto Intro, 20 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Eureka Springs Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Pulau Menjangan Intro, 6 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Galera Intro, 22 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manado Intro, 3 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Takayama Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 2 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 9 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (9)
Latest Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) hotel reviews
- Sails in the Desert Ayers Rock Resort
- 594 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Desert Gardens Hotel
- 552 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Outback Pioneer Hotel
- 446 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Ayers Rock Campground
- 138 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- The Lost Camel Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions