"Lankayan Island : Another tropical paradise" Pulau Lankayan by Restless-in-kl

Pulau Lankayan Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 27 photos

Green gems floating on a sea of sapphires

I'm blessed to live in Malaysia. With so many tropical islands right at my doorstep, I'm spoiled for choice.

Though I have covered most islands on the East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia (namely : Redang, Perhentian, Lang Tengah and Tenggol), I've just touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to islands over in Sabah.

Sabah islands visited so far : Manukan, Mamutik, Sipadan, Mabul and Kapalai. Latest to join the list is Lankayan Island located off the shores of Sandakan.

The makings of an island getaway

During my visit, I overheard a couple of people commenting that it looked like an island in Maldives. From far, it did look like one of those gorgeous gems that I've seen in Maldives - soft powdery white sand, blue waters, sunny skies, swaying palm trees, the whole works.

One thing for sure, Lankayan is relatively unknown to Malaysians, I was the only Malaysian guest there! The resort is very popular among the Europeans. I met people from Germany, Romania ...

To think that they have to fly halfway round the world to get here and yet, the Malaysians are not taking average of our own backyard.

Time to take a break

So fellow Malaysians, what are you waiting for? Come visit Lankayan Island. To get a taste of what this beautiful island has to offer, take a look at the resort, its friendly staff, the marine life under the waves and most importantly how to get here :)

• Pros:Beautiful island paradise minus the crowds
  • Cons:Better facilities needed to cater to underwater photographers
  • In a nutshell:Dive haven without the crowds of Sipadan
  • Last visit to Pulau Lankayan: Mar 2008
  • Intro Written Jul 12, 2008

Comments

Restless-in-kl

“Love life!”

Badges & Stats in Pulau Lankayan

Have you been to Pulau Lankayan?

Latest Activity in Pulau Lankayan