"Penang - Pearl of the Orient" Penang by Restless-in-kl

Penang Travel Guide: 2,478 reviews and 5,340 photos

Home when I visit on weekends/holidays ...

Though I was born here, I was not raised here as my dad was transferred a lot. Now, it's where my parents and my sis call home. I have come to know it better now during my visits on weekends or holidays.

This picture was taken from my sister's apartment overlooking Gurney Drive.

and stuff myself with food, glorious food ...

As mentioned in my homepage, this is THE food paradise of Malaysia. I just can't get enough of it.

Found a great little restaurant called Hot Wok serving these delicious Nyonya food (Nyonya refers to mixed Malay-Chinese parentage) with a cosy ambience. So you really get a fusion of taste that's both spicy, hot, tangy and absolutely appetising.

and absorb the sights and sounds

11 February 2006 was the day Thaipusam was celebrated.

It's is a colourful celebration of the birthday of Lord Subramaniam, one of the paramount Hindu deities and son of Siva.

A feature of the festival is the carrying of a kavadi, a semi-circular structure that is decorated with colored papers, tinsels, fresh flowers, and fruits as a form of penance. During that day, roads are transformed into a fairyland of lights. Devotees and penitents carry Kavadis. Some have entered a trance, and pierced their cheeks, tongues, or foreheads. Apart from carrying kavadis, other forms of devotion are practiced, such as honey or milk offerings.

The fesitivities begin on the very eve of the auspicious day. The Silver Chariot carries the image of Lord Muruga from the Chettiar Temple in Penang Street to the Nattukkottai Chettiar Temple at Waterfall Road. This procession starts at dawn and ends at sundown. During the process the crowds smash coconuts and make offerings of incense, fruits, flowers, and money as the chariot stops at every Hindu shrine along the way, followed by a stream of kavadi bearers.

Excerpt from http://www.pulaupinang.com/events/thaipusam.shtml

• Pros:Island charm mixed with great food and unique culture
  • Cons:Chokeful of cars and bad traffic jams
  • In a nutshell:Island of wonderful childhood memories
  • Last visit to Penang: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 22, 2006

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Great page of Penang. You have travelled a lot. But I am sure coming back to Penang will always be special. Cheers, SL :)

• preadhead's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2006 at 5:15 AM

I like the Gurney area and I enjoyed your pages. I love Penang and look forward to returning soon. Helen

• SPW's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2006 at 3:00 AM

We're looking forward to eating our way around Penang in a couple of weeks time!

• Tattugran's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2006 at 12:29 AM

good penang page ......I cant wait to get back there

Restless-in-kl Was Born Here!

Restless-in-kl