"Burkina Faso: The Land of The Honorable" Top 5 Page for this destination Burkina Faso by hydronetta
Burkina Faso Travel Guide: 338 reviews and 1,839 photos
Well it's a kind of strange why I was so obsessed visiting Burkina which hardly has its share on the tourist map. In fact few people will be able to tell where exactly it is located.
I think it was the name of its capital Ouagadougou that since my childhood in my geography lessons sounded too exotic for me.
For sure landlocked and famously poor Burkina lacks any of the sights that its neighbours like Mali or Ghana show.
Since a group of friends decided to visit Mali for the Festival on Niger, I decided that it's the best occasion to combine a short visit to neighbouring Burkina.
For those seeking the "must to see places" on the world tourist map, unfortunately Burkina has little to show.
I can also hardly imagine anyone falling in love with the landscape which is unremittingly flat with few natural spectacles.
But nevertheless, I did really enjoy Burkina as much as I expected, because of that: few tourists, relaxed and genouine local atmosphere, no harassments, few but interesting sights. Our trip had a bit of everything: safari, cultural visits, natural sights and lots of people
Travelling in Burkina in such a short time as we did, meant that we covered a lot kilometers in all type of roads which can be tough at times specially if you're all covered in red african dust by the end of the day.
Facilities can be basic but the whole experience is really pleasing and rewarding if you want to explore a bit of West Africa without touts running after your Euros.
Day 1: Arrival in Ouagadougou
Day 2: Drive south, visit Tiebele. Overnight in Nazinga Ranch
Day 3: Early morning safari in Nazinga. Drive to Gaoua
Day 4: Visit Gaoua and on the way to Banfora the Loropeni ruins
Day 5: Visit the area around Banfora, drive to Bobo Dioulasso
Day 6: Visit Bobo and surrounding area. Overnight Bobo.
Day 7: Departure for a long drive to Bamako (Mali)
The highlights of my trip were:
The traditional village of Tiebele and safari in nearby Nazinga Ranch.
The Lobi Museum in Gaoua.
The waterfalls of Karfiguela, the domes de Febedougou and Sindou pics, watching hippos in pristine Tengrela lake around Banfora.
Bobo Dioulasso and the traditional villages of Koumi and Koro.
And most of all ...Burkina's people!
- Pros:untouristy, authentic, few but interesting sights
- Cons:long dusty drives, repetitive and boring flat landscape
- In a nutshell:...but still you say you've been in OUAGADOUGOU!!
The sad news for the englishspeaking travellers is that there are not many guidebooks on Burkina Faso. Apart from LP and... more travel advice
Chapalo, is a homemade beer from red millet. It's made by families as source of income. This "beer" takes a special... more travel advice
hydronetta's Related Pages
Burkina Faso Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Burkina Faso"
- "Burkino Faso"
- "Burkina Faso: The Land of The Honorable"
- "Burkina Faso -- The Charm is in its Villages"
- "Burkina Faso and FESPACO film festival"
- "UPPER VOLTA !"
- "Black Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burkina Faso
- Hotels in Burkina Faso
- Transportation in Burkina Faso
- Nightlife in Burkina Faso
- Restaurants in Burkina Faso
- Shopping in Burkina Faso
- Warnings and Dangers in Burkina Faso
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burkina Faso
- 44 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Burkina Faso?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burkina Faso
Top 10 Pages
- Kiev Intro, 48 reviews, 90 photos
- Esfahan 33 reviews, 102 photos
- Rangoon Intro, 32 reviews, 90 photos
- Burma 28 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mandalay 23 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burkina Faso Intro, 33 reviews, 62 photos
- Rantepao 23 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos
- Socotra 18 reviews, 65 photos
- Judetul Suceava 22 reviews, 60 photos