"Burkina Faso: The Land of The Honorable" Top 5 Page for this destination Burkina Faso by hydronetta

Burkina Faso Travel Guide: 339 reviews and 1,844 photos

...but why Burkina?

Well it's a kind of strange why I was so obsessed visiting Burkina which hardly has its share on the tourist map. In fact few people will be able to tell where exactly it is located.
I think it was the name of its capital Ouagadougou that since my childhood in my geography lessons sounded too exotic for me.
For sure landlocked and famously poor Burkina lacks any of the sights that its neighbours like Mali or Ghana show.
Since a group of friends decided to visit Mali for the Festival on Niger, I decided that it's the best occasion to combine a short visit to neighbouring Burkina.

...and what about my impressions?

For those seeking the "must to see places" on the world tourist map, unfortunately Burkina has little to show.
I can also hardly imagine anyone falling in love with the landscape which is unremittingly flat with few natural spectacles.
But nevertheless, I did really enjoy Burkina as much as I expected, because of that: few tourists, relaxed and genouine local atmosphere, no harassments, few but interesting sights. Our trip had a bit of everything: safari, cultural visits, natural sights and lots of people
Travelling in Burkina in such a short time as we did, meant that we covered a lot kilometers in all type of roads which can be tough at times specially if you're all covered in red african dust by the end of the day.
Facilities can be basic but the whole experience is really pleasing and rewarding if you want to explore a bit of West Africa without touts running after your Euros.

My itinerary and trip highlights

Day 1: Arrival in Ouagadougou
Day 2: Drive south, visit Tiebele. Overnight in Nazinga Ranch
Day 3: Early morning safari in Nazinga. Drive to Gaoua
Day 4: Visit Gaoua and on the way to Banfora the Loropeni ruins
Day 5: Visit the area around Banfora, drive to Bobo Dioulasso
Day 6: Visit Bobo and surrounding area. Overnight Bobo.
Day 7: Departure for a long drive to Bamako (Mali)
The highlights of my trip were:
The traditional village of Tiebele and safari in nearby Nazinga Ranch.
The Lobi Museum in Gaoua.
The waterfalls of Karfiguela, the domes de Febedougou and Sindou pics, watching hippos in pristine Tengrela lake around Banfora.
Bobo Dioulasso and the traditional villages of Koumi and Koro.
And most of all ...Burkina's people!

• Pros:untouristy, authentic, few but interesting sights
  • Cons:long dusty drives, repetitive and boring flat landscape
  • In a nutshell:...but still you say you've been in OUAGADOUGOU!!
  • Last visit to Burkina Faso: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 13, 2008

• picek's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Great page, wonderful photos. I hope I'll be able to visit BF one day, that would be real great experience I think :)

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Nice work Panagiotis. I rode the bus, and so didn't see some of the places you saw. Nice photos reminding me of a great African adventure that few people have the opportunity to appreciate.

• Oct 1, 2008 at 4:03 AM

I flew from Paris to Ouaga with them in August 2008. Inbound flights was 3 hrs late, return flight 11 hrs. Friends who also travelled on Afriqyah were delayed by several hours each time. All Afriqiyah flights displayed in Tripoli were 3 to 12 hrs late.

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Hello, Vary good tips and pages on a place I would love to visit!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2008 at 12:19 PM

wow, what a great destination! I hope no health risks...

Badges & Stats in Burkina Faso

Have you been to Burkina Faso?

Latest Activity in Burkina Faso