"GAOUA: The Lobi country" Gaoua by hydronetta
Gaoua Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 7 photos
Situated in the South of Burkina bordering Ghana, Gaoua (Gan-houo= the route of the Gan people) is the capital of Poni province, place of Lobi people.
It is said that Gaoua was created when Lobi came from northern Ghana crossing river Mouhoun.
Lobi is a term (lou=forest, bi=children) used for a mix of ethnic related groups despite varities in language, codes and traditions.
Female dominated communities, Lobi live in distinctive mud compounds, maintain largely animist beliefs as exhibited in the fetishes worshiped.
They are famed as excellent hunters and warriors. Though hard nowadays to see anyone carrying a bow, this is considered a sign of masculinity, nobility and dignity.
If you're much into discovering the local customs then a local guide can help you explore the surrounding Lobi villages. Apart from that the city itself is nothing special. Its main sight is the extraordinary small museum with deep views into Lobi life, and its laid back ambience of the city around the market place. Add also the absence of tourism...then you can be the only foreigner sightseeing around the streets!
- Pros:non touristy, excellent museum
- Cons:limited accommodation facilities
Gaoua's centre is really very compact and therefore easy to walk around. Apart from the market area which comes alive in... more travel advice
We were really very anxious to find out a live music scene in Gaoua, but unfrotunately it was not a weekend so we had to... more travel advice
hydronetta's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Gaoua
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Gaoua?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gaoua
Photos in GaouaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Kiev Intro, 48 reviews, 90 photos
- Esfahan 33 reviews, 102 photos
- Rangoon Intro, 32 reviews, 90 photos
- Burma 28 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mandalay 23 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burkina Faso Intro, 33 reviews, 62 photos
- Rantepao 23 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos
- Socotra 18 reviews, 65 photos
- Judetul Suceava 22 reviews, 60 photos