"Kawkaban" Top 5 Page for this destination Kawkaban by hydronetta
Kawkaban Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 59 photos
The fortified Kawkaban village lies on the top of Jebel Kawkaban, 2800m above sea level.
Its name means "eaglenest" but in another version it means "two stars" referring to two palaces decorated with brilliant stones. Rich imagination you might think.... but this was the capital of the local dynasty in the 15th century and reknown for its school of music.
Unfortunately today Kawkaban looks dusty, abandoned and neglected, full of ruins (it was bombed in 1962 during the revolution)
It is one of the villages included in the circuit around Sana'a (+Thulla and Shibam) and definitely the one blessed with gorgeous views.
All three villages (Thulla, Shibam, Kawkaban) offer accommodation. Nevertheless as most of them are funduqs (matresses... more travel advice
Though Al-Mahwit is of little interest to the traveller, its setting among hilltop villages and fertile land is well... more travel advice
hydronetta's Related Pages
Kawkaban Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kawkaban and northern Shibam"
- "Kawkaban, Shibam and Al Tawela"
- "Sanaa Day Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kawkaban
- Hotels in Kawkaban
- Transportation in Kawkaban
- Restaurants in Kawkaban
- Shopping in Kawkaban
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kawkaban
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Kawkaban?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kawkaban
Photos in KawkabanSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Kiev Intro, 48 reviews, 90 photos
- Esfahan 33 reviews, 102 photos
- Rangoon Intro, 32 reviews, 90 photos
- Myanmar (Burma) 28 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mandalay 23 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burkina Faso Intro, 33 reviews, 62 photos
- Rantepao 23 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos
- Socotra 18 reviews, 65 photos
- Judetul Suceava 22 reviews, 60 photos