"Shibam Hadramawt" Top 5 Page for this destination Shibam by hydronetta
Shibam Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 82 photos
Shibam (Hadramawt to distinguish it from the other Shibam in Al Mahwit) is long considered as one of Yemen's highlights and a serious reason to take the long trip from Sana'a to Wadi Hadramawt.
Not only that, along with Sana'a Old City and Zabid is declared as UNESCO world heritage.
The city is thought to date back from the 4th century BC.
The multystoreyed architectural structures of Shibam seem robust though their building material is inferior in quality and consumable. Here you don't have stone tower houses but locals expressed their aesthetics by painting the exterior in light tiled colour or white (on the top)
A must if you plan to visit Yemen.
There are no hotels or funduqs inside Shibam (or at least it is mentioned like that in my guidebook). Even if there were... more travel advice
hydronetta's Related Pages
Shibam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Towering Shibam"
- "Shibam Hadramawt"
- "The Curse of Unesco?"
- "The oldest skyscraper-city in the world"
- "Spectacular Shibam"
- "Wadi hadramawt and the Eastern Desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shibam
- Hotels in Shibam
- Transportation in Shibam
- Nightlife in Shibam
- Restaurants in Shibam
- Shopping in Shibam
- Warnings and Dangers in Shibam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shibam
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Shibam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shibam
Top 10 Pages
- Kiev Intro, 48 reviews, 90 photos
- Esfahan 33 reviews, 102 photos
- Rangoon Intro, 32 reviews, 90 photos
- Burma 28 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mandalay 23 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burkina Faso Intro, 33 reviews, 62 photos
- Rantepao 23 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos
- Socotra 18 reviews, 65 photos
- Judetul Suceava 22 reviews, 60 photos