Ajmer Things to Do Tips by hydronetta
Ajmer Things to Do: 23 reviews and 52 photos
female pilgrimes outside the saint's tomb
Remember that as you have to enter a holy place you must at first take off your shoes, which you leave at he complex getaway.
Head must be covered in certain areas so it is wise for women to carry their own scarf. As for men they can buy a tasteful cap for a minimal price from the bazaar leading to the shrine
The Nasiyan Temple (Red Temple) is a Jain temple and definitely a must to visit. Luckily there are a few visitors around. Unfortunately all this wealth displayed is viewed behind glass , for protection reasons I guess
It is double storey temple and it contains a series of gilt wooden figures recreating scenes from the Jain mythology (additional photos). There is an entrance fee. If you are lucky enough you can be guided by someone, though expect that probably he'll ask to sell you something at the end. At least I bought nice handpainted silk.
The visit left me with mixed feelings. Such wealth inside and poverty outside....
Dargah is the tomb of the great Sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti (1143-1235).
In fact is a whole complex: The saint's marble-domed tomb is the heart of the complex, there are 2 mosques , a bazaar.
The tomb attracts millions of pilgrims every year for the saint's annuam death anniversary in October, though even the day we visited it was already filled up with people.
Directions: Southwest conrer of the city
More Reviews (3)
hydronetta's Related Pages
Ajmer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ajmer: the city of the holiest Muslim shrine"
- "love towards all malice towards none - Garib Nawaz"
- "Pilgrimage city of the Dargah of Moinuddin Chishti"
- "Ajmer - the holy Muslim Pilgrimage Town"
- "Restaurants Ajmer"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ajmer
- Hotels in Ajmer
- Transportation in Ajmer
- Shopping in Ajmer
- Warnings and Dangers in Ajmer
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lake Taal Hotels
- Kota Kinabalu Hotels
- North America
- Malgrat de Mar
- Calaveras Big Trees State Park Hotels
- Mysore Hotels
- Key West
Badges & Stats in Ajmer
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Ajmer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ajmer
Top 10 Pages
- Kiev Intro, 48 reviews, 90 photos
- Esfahan 33 reviews, 102 photos
- Rangoon Intro, 32 reviews, 90 photos
- Burma 28 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mandalay 23 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burkina Faso Intro, 33 reviews, 62 photos
- Rantepao 23 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Socotra 18 reviews, 65 photos
- Judetul Suceava 22 reviews, 60 photos
Latest Ajmer hotel reviews