"Half Europe half Asia" Istanbul by draguza
Istanbul Travel Guide: 7,911 reviews and 20,582 photos
Located at the point, where the Golden Horn flows into the Bosporus, riding on two continents, Asia and Europe, Istanbul is considered one of the most famous and fascinating cities in the world - a great metropolis during the entire course of its ancient history
History of Istanbul began with the Greek settlement "Byzantium", founded in 657 BC. After its destruction, the Roman emperor Constantine the Great erected a new city on the walls of Byzantium, with the intention to create a "Roma Nova" (New Rome). In 330 AD he declared the city the capital of his empire and rechristened it "Constantinople". In 1453 the Osmane sultan Mehmed II conquered the city, gave it the name "Istanbul" and made the legendary metropolis the centre of his empire.
Istanbul was the centre and mirror of two world empires and two world religions for 16 centuries and has kept the most significant testimonies from each era.
ne of my favorite walking tours in Istanbul was from the Grand Bazaar downhill along Uzunçarsi Caddesi (Longmarket... more travel advice
draguza's Related Pages
Istanbul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STROLLING THROUGH ISTANBUL"
- "The only city in the world build in 2 continents"
- "Istanbul not/and Constantinople"
- "istanbul tips"
- "My Beloved Istanbul"
- "Beauty, Culture, & History - All In One Place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Istanbul
- Hotels in Istanbul
- Transportation in Istanbul
- Nightlife in Istanbul
- Restaurants in Istanbul
- Shopping in Istanbul
- Warnings and Dangers in Istanbul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Istanbul
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Istanbul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Istanbul
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milan Intro, 109 reviews, 175 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 79 reviews, 100 photos
- Bucharest Intro, 59 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 47 reviews, 70 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 40 reviews, 54 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 39 reviews, 43 photos
- Prague Intro, 26 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Torino Intro, 30 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 29 reviews, 31 photos
- Venice Intro, 22 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue