"Beautiful Mexico City!" Mexico City by chizz

Mexico City Travel Guide: 2,165 reviews and 4,484 photos

Mexico City - mi segunda casa!

I first visited Mexico City in April/May 1990 as part of my British degree course in Spanish and Latin American Studies at the University of Portsmouth (Portsmouth Polytechnic back then). During the second year of our course, we had to do a period of residence in Spain and Mexico as our degree combined both countries!
In theory, this was a chance to improve our Spanish language skills, but most definitely improved our drinking and socialising skills more!!
After living in Madrid for 6 months, I moved on to Mexico City for the next six months. Originally, we were supposed to enrol on some courses at the UNAM university but as they were about to break up for the summer, this idea was abandoned.
At first, there was just a course colleague and myself sharing a house with some other British students, but then two other colleagues joined us in Mexico City and we all moved into another flat together - and so the fun started.....
Many nights out at the famous "Ladies Night" venues with new Mexican friends and later time spent with our new Mexican boyfriends. We also did quite a few trips around Mexico to Acapulco, Taxco and Manzanillo, Oaxaca and Puerto escondido as well as seeing the usual tourist sights in and around Mexico City.
After completing my degree, I decided to return to Mexico with a British friend as I had applied to work for Berlitz in one of their language schools. But before starting work, we decided to travel around for a while to Guatemala, Belize and the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico.
I worked with Berlitz for 4 years as an English Teacher, before moving on to another language school and I also did more travelling around the country in my time off to Leon, Guanjuato, Guadalajara, Colima, Monterrey, Ixtapan de la Sal, Toluca, Valle de Bravo, Puebla, San Miguel de Allende and many other places.
After around a year back in the UK, I was again offered the chance to return to Mexico when I got a job as a Holiday Representative with a British company. This time I was based in Cancun and worked there for around 2 years starting with this job and then moving on to work as a restaurant promoter in a Mexican restaurant. This again gave me a chance to travel around the Yucatan Peninsula seeing Merida, Isla Mujeres, Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen amongst other places.
My aim is to return many more times to Mexico in the future and visit the places that I've not seen so far and to catch up with my old pals Flora, Tocaya, Javier and my new VT friend Laura.
My friends tell me that the city has changed so much since I last saw it and also that is more dangerous too!

Update: Returned to Mexico City for 1 month from Dec 2013 - Jan 2014 after a weeks' W. Caribbean cruise, a few days in Miami and a week at Le Blanc Resort and Spa in Cancun. Had a GREAT time and showed my husband around, before he had to return to Doha for work. Met up with several friends, who I hadn't seen in 17 years or so and met up with my VT buddy, Laura for the first time! I still love D.F. and had lots of time to visit several museums (Anthropology Museum, MAP, "Mucho Mundo Chocolate" Chocolate Museum, returned to the Frida Khalo Museum, Anahuacalli Museum, "Indio" Fernandez House, and the Tequila and Mezcal Museum). We toured the city on the Turibus (both routes), visited Coyoacan, took a boat (trajinera) ride in Xochimilco, took in the Ballet Folklorico at beautiful Bellas Artes, saw the "Lucha Libre" at the Coliseo, went up the Latinamerican Tower for great city views, went to see Chapultepec Castle, a visit to the National Palace, a trip to the Basilica de Guadalupe, a guided trip to Teotihuacan and Templo Mayor and lots of other stuff. I also took a guided trip to Puebla and a trip to Tepoztlan to see a friend. Hope to return in 2016 and may do a trip to Cabo before going to Mexico City.

Things I love about Mexico City!

1. The friendly people
2. The atmosphere
3. The range of places to visit
4. The food - especially tacos al pastor, tacos arabes, mole poblano and tamales!
5. The ease of transport around the city

OH - and Luis Miguel!

Things I dislike about Mexico City!

1. The pollution!!!!!!

3. Teotihuacan
4. Zona Rosa
5. Chapultepec Park and Castle
6. Coyoacan
7. City tour on the "Turibus"
8. Torre Latinoamericana
9. Anthropological Museum
10. Bellas Artes Palace
11. Frida Kahlo Museum
12. Templo Mayor
13. Eat some authentic Mexican food!
14. Practice your Spanish with the locals!!!!

• Pros:Great history, a massive amount of sights and museums to see, friendly people, good food, lots of nightlife, cheap public transport
  • Cons:Crowded and "can" be dangerous (but no more so than your average big city), air pollution (although this has been greatly reduced in recent yrs)
  • Last visit to Mexico City: Dec 2013
  • Intro Updated Sep 6, 2014

Comments

chizz

“You only live once!”

Badges & Stats in Mexico City

Have you been to Mexico City?

Latest Activity in Mexico City