"Muscat, Oman" Muscat by chizz
Muscat Travel Guide: 425 reviews and 1,175 photos
We travelled to Muscat, Oman in August 2007 on a package tour with Oman Airlines and had a great time! We decided to stay at the Al Bustan Palace Hotel which was recommended as one of the best and it was a very nice place to stay. The hotel has an impressive atrium which is illuminated with lights at night and provides the focal point of the hotel. The place is arranged in a tier system of rooms from standard to luxurious from the lower to upper floors and our room was decorated in a traditional omani style with tiled areas and traditional furniture. The location of the hotel is very impressive as it faces the beach and is surrounded by jagged mountains on it's other sides. There are also gardens where you can walk or lie in a hammock.
There is a pool area too where you are given your own cool box with iced towels, cold water spray and drinking water as it can get very humid, as was the case when we were there. The hotel houses several restaurants with breakfast included in one of them with a wide selection of foods to choose from in a buffet style. There are several small shops in the hotel selling books, postcards, handicrafts, etc. However, the hotel is currently under restoration and will open in mid 2008. I'm sure it will be impressive!
We hired a car whilst we were there to explore the area and its surrounds. This was useful as the hotel is some way out of the city centre. In Muscat itself there are several places to visit and we visited: Golden Date Factory, Amouage Perfume Factory, Sultan Bin Qaboos Mosque, Muttrah Souq and seafront, Bait Al Zubair Museum and Al Alam Palace.
Out of the city we visited: Nizwa and its fort, Jabrin and Nahkl Forts, Wahiba Sands, Wadi Bani Khalid and a bedhouin house (as part of a tour arranged by the hotel in a 4WD vehicle).
The Omani people are great and very friendly and Oman is a nice place to visit.
- Pros:Good weather, lots to do, friendly people
- Cons:Hard to do by public transport, big place, traffic
- In a nutshell:Friendly Oman!
Muttrah Souq houses many stalls where you can buy traditional handicrafts such as khanjars (daggers) and omani wedding... more travel advice
Visit this 350 year old fort which lies 1 hours drive away from Muscat. more travel advice
chizz's Related Pages
Muscat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Muscat - An Amazing Arabic Port City"
- "Muscat - مسقط"
- "Muscat, A Beautiful Lush Green"
- "the road to muscat"
- "MUSCAT - OMAN - THE LAND OF FRANKENCENSE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Muscat
- Hotels in Muscat
- Transportation in Muscat
- Nightlife in Muscat
- Restaurants in Muscat
- Shopping in Muscat
- Warnings and Dangers in Muscat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Muscat
- 13 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Muscat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Muscat
Top 10 Pages
- Dubai Intro, 81 reviews, 290 photos
- Delhi Intro, 19 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abu Dhabi Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Luxor Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 14 reviews, 49 photos
- Syria Intro, 8 reviews, 52 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos