"Polonnaruwa" Polonnaruwa by chizz
Polonnaruwa Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 272 photos
We visited the ancient ruins of Polonnaruwa on a combined entry ticket with Sigiriya which cost Rs. 5,600 per adult. The site is open from 8.30am-6pm and lies approximately 1 and a half hours away by car from Sigiriya.
Polonnaruwa, Sri Lanka's medieval capital (11th - 12th Century AD) is a well-preserved city of ancient dagobas, moonstones, beautiful parks, massive buildings and stunningly beautiful statues. The majestic King's Council Chamber, the Lotus Bath, the Lanka Thilaka Viharaya, the Gal Viharaya (rock temple) and the statue of one of Polonnaruwa's great kings, Parakramabahu, are a few of this capital's memorable sights. The Sea of Parakrama - a vast 12th century man-made reservoir dominates the city. Although it is nearly 1000 years old, it is much younger than Anuradhapura, and in much better repair. Moreover, the monuments here are located in a more compact area, and their development is easier to follow.
Right next to one of the entrances to Polonnaruwa, you will find the Rest House Polonnaruwa which has a small restaurant... more travel advice
chizz's Related Pages
Polonnaruwa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ancient ruins"
- "Don't miss this capital city."
- "Historic Polonnaruwa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Polonnaruwa
- Hotels in Polonnaruwa
- Transportation in Polonnaruwa
- Nightlife in Polonnaruwa
- Restaurants in Polonnaruwa
- Warnings and Dangers in Polonnaruwa
- See All...
Explore the World
- Punta Cana Hotels
- San Buenaventura State Beach Hotels
- The Gambia
- St. Thomas
- Masai Mara Game Reserve Hotels
- Sunset State Beach Hotels
- Sudbury Hotels
- Puerto Vallarta
- Puerto Galera
- Tughlakabad Hotels
Badges & Stats in Polonnaruwa
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Polonnaruwa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Polonnaruwa
Photos in PolonnaruwaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Dubai Intro, 81 reviews, 290 photos
- Delhi Intro, 19 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abu Dhabi Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Luxor Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 14 reviews, 49 photos
- Syria Intro, 8 reviews, 52 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (12)
Latest Polonnaruwa hotel reviews
- Hotel Sudu Araliya
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013