"Hi there!" chizz's Profile
CURRENT TRAVEL STATUS: July/August 2014 - Just back from a month long trip to Canada, which was great! Flew from Doha to Calgary and then hired a car to travel around Banff, Icefields Parkway and Jasper for a week. The scenery was spectacular and we had great weather for photos!. Returning to Calgary, we flew to Halifax, Nova Scotia and hired a car to drive around NS for a week. We visited Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Annapolis Royal, Brier Island (for whale watching), Digby, Truro, Pictou, Baddeck, Glace Bay (for the Mining Museum), drove the Cabot Trail (where the sun came out after some mixed weather!) Louisbourg (for the Fortress) and Sydney, before heading back to Halifax to see the sights. We then flew to Ottawa for a few days and then took trains to visit Quebec City, Montreal and Toronto for a few days each. We hired a car to visit Niagara Falls and had a great Fallsview Room at Embassy Suites...the views of both falls was fantastic! We managed to do the Maid of the Mist boat tour and The Cave of the Winds on the U.S. side of the falls too. Finally we attended our nephew's wedding in Toronto, which was lovely. Heading back to Doha, we had a stopover of around 8 hours at Heathrow, so did some shopping for British sweets and some other stuff in nearby Hounslow. Fantastic trip and would recommend!...
Dec 2013/Jan 2014 -Just back from a fantastic 6 week long vacation in Miami, where we stayed for a few days before embarking on a week long Caribbean cruise to Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas), Ocho Rios (Jamaica), Georgetown (Cayman Islands) and Cozumel (Mexico). After another day in Miami, we flew to Cancun for a week at the marvelous Le Blanc Resort and Spa, before staying in an apartment in Mexico City for a month. This was great, as I met up with many old friends of mine and visited lots of great museums, as well as seeing the Ballet Folklorico, Lucha Libre and taking trips to Teotihuacan and Puebla.
March 2013 - Tromso and Alta, Norway. Had a great trip and met up with some friends from our Antarctica cruise. Saw the Aurora Borealis quite a few times too. Snowmobiling and dog-sledding was great.
Nov/Dec 2012 - Just returned from a fantastic trip to the Falkland Is., S. Georgia and Antarctica on the M/V Ushuaia. The amount of penguins and seals on S. Georgia was just incredible and the Antarctic icebergs and scenery were beautiful. Would love to return one day!!!!....
Age 43, married to Richard with no kids. Love travel (and collecting fridge magnets wherever I go), photography, eating out, chocolate and cinema.
Was born and went to school in the UK and got a university degree in Spanish and Latin American Studies. Have done many jobs in my time from student jobs in Burger King and in pubs to Cabin Crew, Admin Worker, English Teacher and Holiday Rep after completing my studies.
Lived in Mexico City and Cancun for 7 years, Sydney, Australia for a year due to my husband's job, Kuwait for a year (again due to my husband's job), Dubai for 4 years and am now in Doha, Qatar. Have traveled quite a bit around the world, but have only gone digital in the last few years, hence I don't have the majority of my photos in digital format. Went back to the UK in August, 2008 and hunted out some of the old travel photos, so have just started to scan a few of them into the computer!!! It's hard to remember all the tip info though from years ago, so will just have to be a brief outline of my trips....
Aim to keep traveling around the world until both me and my husband get fed up and then we'll probably go back to live in the UK - (hopefully when we are close to retirement age!).
1. Baltic Cruise: Brugges, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Warnemunde, Copehagen & Oslo
3. Muscat & surrounds, Oman
5. Abu Dhabi
7. Al Ain
8. Sharm el Sheikh
2. Salalah, Oman
3. Kuala Lumpur
4. Delhi, Agra & Jaipur
5. UK - home, Cotswolds, Worcester and the Lake District.
6. Egypt - Cairo, sights on Nile Cruise, Abu Simbel, etc
1. Sri Lanka
2. New York/Las Vegas/UK
1. Singapore and Indonesia - June 2010
2. Nepal - Nov 2010
1. UK/Slovenia - Ljubljana and surrounds - Feb 2011
2. Madrid, Valencia (for Las Fallas), Barcelona and La Manga - March 2011
3. Istanbul - June 2011
4. Maldives - Lily Beach Resort and Spa - Dec 2011
1. Myanmar (Burma) - March 2012
2. UK/Switzerland - Aug 2012
3. Antarctica (Falklands, S.Georgia and Antarctica) - Nov/Dec 2012
1. Norway - Tromso and Alta - March 2013
2. Miami, Caribbean cruise (Bahamas, Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Mexico), Cancun, Mexico City - Nov/Dec 2013, Jan 2014 .
1. Mexico City - Jan 2014
2. Orlando - Feb 2014 - as part of husband's work trip
3. Canada Trip - July/August 2014 - Calgary, Banff, Jasper and surrounds, Nova Scotia, Ottawa, Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto and Niagara Falls
1. Oct/Nov 2015 - 1 month cruise from Los Angeles to Hawaii, Samoa, Bora Bora, Moorea and Tahiti (booked)....looking forward to putting my case on the ship and not moving for a month!...
1. Sri Lanka (done)
4. Lebanon (done)
5. Valencia, Spain (done)
6. Turkey (done Istanbul so far)
8. Slovenia (done)
9. Nepal (done)
10. Antarctica (done)
11. New York (done)
12. Maldives (done!)
Plus a hundred or so more places!!!
Best trips so far:
1. Falkland Is, S.Georgia and Antarctica
1. Emirates (Dubai, U.A.E.) - *** and a half. Mix of good/not so good planes. Nice food. Ok leg room - not good on older planes. Good entertainment on newer planes.
2. Etihad Airways (Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.) - *** and a half. New planes. Good leg room. Good food.
3. Qatar Airways (Qatar) - *** and a half. Good leg room. Nice food. Good entertainment.
4. Jazeera Airways (Kuwait) - ****. My favourite budget airline. Leather seats. Good leg room. Good routes. Good prices.
5. Oman Air (Oman) - ***. A bit shabby with older planes. Route timings not good.
6. Malaysia Airlines (Malaysia) - ***. Not much leg room. Shabby planes. Good prices though!
7. Korean Air (Korea) - ***. Worst food I've had! Ok. Cheaper fares.
8. British Airways (UK) - ***. Snobby staff on occasion. Clean planes, Good food. Not much entertainment. Only airline EVER to charge me excess baggage (as a poor student!!).
9. Easyjet (UK) - ***. Nice budget airline. Good leg room. Variety of routes. Sometimes late!
10. Ryanair (Ireland) - ** and a half. Ok budget airline. Cheap. Ok Leg room.
11. Thai Airways (Thailand) - ****. My favourite so far. Lovely staff. Nice food. Good leg room. Good entertainment. Orchid on departure.
12. Air 2000 (UK) - ** and a half. Ok holiday airline. Bad food - made me ill.
13. Monarch Airlines (UK) - ***. Worked for them! Nice food. Lots of service. Leg room is ok.
14. Thomas Cook Airlines (UK) - ** and a half. Leg room minimal. OK.
15. Wardair Canada (Canada) - ***. Now defunct airline. Remember it was good flight.
16. Gulf Air (Bahrain) - ***. Not bad.
17. VASP (Brazil) - ***. Good leg room. Nice food.
18. Aeromexico/Aerolitoral (Mexico) - *** and a half. Good leg room. Nice food.
19. Continental Airlines (USA) - ***. Rude staff and old staff. OK
20. All Nippon Airways (ANA) (Japan) - ****. Good staff and service. Good entertainment and good leg room. Clean planes.
21. Air China (China) - ** and a half. Old. shabby planes. Ok service and food. Leg room ok.
22. Allegro (Mexico) - ***. Cheap and cheerful, snack on board, leg room good.
23. Taesa (Mexico) - ***. Cheap and cheerful, snack on board, leg room good.
24. Virgin Blue (Australia) - *** and a half. Cheap, nice staff.
25. Air New Zealand (NZ) - ** and a half. Rude staff and shabby planes.
26. Dan Air (UK) - Taken over by BA in 1993 - ** and a half. Holiday flight. OK
27. EgyptAir (Egypt) - ** and a half. Just OK, nothing special. Food not too good and planes a bit shabby. Entertainment choices are bad.
28. Air Arabia (Sharjah, U.A.E.) - ***and a half. Quite good for a budget airline. Late taking off, hanging around in bus on tarmac. Snacks to buy onboard which were ok. No good entertainment.
29. United Airlines(USA) - ***. Nice flight, but not good choice of entertainment.
30. American Airlines (USA) - **and a half. Old plane, food ok, not good entertainment.
31. Lufthansa (Germany) - ***and a half. Lots of service, nice staff, food ok, not much entertainment.
32. Fly Dubai (Dubai, U.A.E.) - ***. Newest budget airline here in Dubai. Quite cramped with limited luggage space. No entertainment. Paid food. Paid hold baggage. Few destinations at present. Great price! Would use them again.
33. Buddha Air (Nepal) - ***Small plane for Everest Flight. Bigger plane for return from Chitwan (Bharatpur) to Kathmandu - only 20 min flight time, so no meals or entertainment. Plane clean and staff professional.
34. Virgin Atlantic (UK) - ***and a half. Nice, clean plane, great selection of movies on demand. Food not bad, Staff pleasant enough. Leg room not great, amenity kits not great and breakfast was a brownie (expected a bit more to eat!).
35. Turkish Airlines (Turkey) - ***. Clean planes, food ok. Entertainment not very good depending on the plane you get - some have 1 movie showing on a drop down screen, others have on demand movies. Staff quite abrupt, pax allowed too much hand luggage, so no room in overhead bins.
36. Spanair (Spain) - *** and a half. Budget airline - got a very good price from Alicante to Barcelona. Oldish plane. No entertainment as I recall. Overhead bin space very limited. Food sold on board. Great that you don't have to pay for hold luggage like most of the budget airlines today. Would recommend for a short flight.
37. Thai Air Asia (Thailand) - ***and a half. Flew from Bangkok to Yangon. Budget airline with great prices - all "extras'' paid for such as food onboard, hold luggage. Clean and new planes and friendly staff. Flights were on time.
38. LAN (Argentina) - ***. Flight on time and staff friendly. Clean plane, snack given quite disappointing. Not much in-flight entertainment, just a TV show on drop down screen - no headphones either.
35. Wideroe (Norway) - ***and a half. Cool little twin prop plane for 38 min flight from Tromso to Alta. Comfortable and good price. No entertainment or food, of course though. Would use again.
36. SAS (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) - ***and a half. Great prices. No complaints. Tea/coffee is free and all other snacks are paid for. No entertainment. Clean plane and nice staff.
37. Interjet (Mexico) - ***and a half. Great budget airline! Free snacks onboard (crisps, soda, tea, coffee). Generous luggage allowance (50kgs) when traveling from Mexico City to Miami, 23kgs for domestic luggage allowance. Friendly staff, clean planes, on time departures. Will definitely use them again.
38. Air Canada - *** and a half. took 2 flights with them. Punctual service, free soft drinks, tea and coffee only. Not much entertainment on board. Planes were clean and staff were friendly. Would fly with them again.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 451 Reviews
- 2,025 Photos
- 19 Countries
- 67 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
updated their Profile Page "Hi there!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hi there!"
- updated a Mexico City Travel Page "Beautiful Mexico City!"
- Commented on chizz's profile page
- chizz and bakish are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Dubai Forum "Re: Where are the taxis"
- Uploaded a Video to Madrid
- Wrote a Review Polynesian Buffet about Bamboo Lagoon - Marriott in Dubai Restaurants
PhotosSee All Photos (2025)
VideosSee All Videos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Dubai Intro, 81 reviews, 290 photos
- Delhi Intro, 19 reviews, 88 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cairo Intro, 18 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abu Dhabi Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Luxor Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos
- Vietnam Intro, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 14 reviews, 49 photos
- Syria Intro, 8 reviews, 52 photos
- Khett Siem Reab Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salalah Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos