Beijing Restaurant Tips by kokoryko

Beijing Restaurants: 692 reviews and 868 photos

Dong Jiao Min Jiang street - Beijing

Dong Jiao Min Jiang street

here is a choice of some I tried: All sorts of restaurants

restaurant tips!! It is a bit difficult as I like to go in small restaurants or even food stalls where I think to get the real local food, and also, I am sure the food is fresh there (if not 100% clean!). The restaurants where I was in the evenings were in small hutongs south of Tian An Men, in Dong Jiao Min Jiang street, and on side streets not far from my hotel, in the Gumao area.

Favorite Dish: Main picture: The staff in a small restaurant near the western end of Dong Jiao Min Jiang street; I think if the staff is eating what they prepare with such enthusiasm, the food must be fresh and good; it was, I had noodles with chicken soup. The thick Chinese noodles were one of my favourites if I did not want to eat luxury meals.
Picture 2: This is what I had another evening near the forbidden city; noodles, soup, beer; I could have tried more sophisticated meals, but in the evenings I would not necessarily have enjoyed and I am totally illiterate in Chinese and not all restaurants have an English written menu; so with my “survival Chinese” phrase book, I could explain I wanted to eat soup, rice, etc. . . . and the result was not too bad.
Picture 3: In the small restaurants you are sometimes very close to the kitchen, or at least close to the place where a part of the food is prepared; here the women were preparing meat dumplings and everybody could see how the food was prepared.
Picture 4: this restaurant is located on the south side of the Jianguomennei Dajie near Guomao metro station, in a small side street; the outside of the restaurants are also sometimes a criterion to choose one rather than the other; there were several in the area, and I liked the lights and decorations of this one.
Picture 5: Near the office I had lunch with colleagues in the commercial center nearby, underground; the food in one of these restaurants was not bad, and with colleagues who know, it is easier to choose; the interesting thing here was the tea service with the waiter taking lots of risk, but it seems it is usual to do it like that? !

Address: Hutongs or commercial centres, or big streets. . .

Directions: Everywhere

Rating: 3

Theme: Local

• Written Apr 24, 2007

kokoryko

“Il me plait de courir sans but et sans raison . . . .”

Badges & Stats in Beijing

Have you been to Beijing?

Latest Activity in Beijing