Beijing Restaurant Tips by kokoryko
Beijing Restaurants: 692 reviews and 870 photos
Dong Jiao Min Jiang street
restaurant tips!! It is a bit difficult as I like to go in small restaurants or even food stalls where I think to get the real local food, and also, I am sure the food is fresh there (if not 100% clean!). The restaurants where I was in the evenings were in small hutongs south of Tian An Men, in Dong Jiao Min Jiang street, and on side streets not far from my hotel, in the Gumao area.
Favorite Dish: Main picture: The staff in a small restaurant near the western end of Dong Jiao Min Jiang street; I think if the staff is eating what they prepare with such enthusiasm, the food must be fresh and good; it was, I had noodles with chicken soup. The thick Chinese noodles were one of my favourites if I did not want to eat luxury meals.
Picture 2: This is what I had another evening near the forbidden city; noodles, soup, beer; I could have tried more sophisticated meals, but in the evenings I would not necessarily have enjoyed and I am totally illiterate in Chinese and not all restaurants have an English written menu; so with my “survival Chinese” phrase book, I could explain I wanted to eat soup, rice, etc. . . . and the result was not too bad.
Picture 3: In the small restaurants you are sometimes very close to the kitchen, or at least close to the place where a part of the food is prepared; here the women were preparing meat dumplings and everybody could see how the food was prepared.
Picture 4: this restaurant is located on the south side of the Jianguomennei Dajie near Guomao metro station, in a small side street; the outside of the restaurants are also sometimes a criterion to choose one rather than the other; there were several in the area, and I liked the lights and decorations of this one.
Picture 5: Near the office I had lunch with colleagues in the commercial center nearby, underground; the food in one of these restaurants was not bad, and with colleagues who know, it is easier to choose; the interesting thing here was the tea service with the waiter taking lots of risk, but it seems it is usual to do it like that? !
Address: Hutongs or commercial centres, or big streets. . .
More Reviews (16)
kokoryko's Related Pages
Beijing Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing - Imperial Peking"
- "My wonderful Beijing"
- "Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall"
- "Beijing - The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing (北京)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beijing
- Hotels in Beijing
- Transportation in Beijing
- Nightlife in Beijing
- Restaurants in Beijing
- Shopping in Beijing
- Warnings and Dangers in Beijing
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beijing
- 17 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Beijing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beijing
Photos in BeijingSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pau Intro, 83 reviews, 427 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 344 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 68 reviews, 340 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 69 reviews, 315 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 306 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Danau Toba Intro, 40 reviews, 227 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 43 reviews, 195 photos
- Monts du Forez Intro, 39 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 43 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (40)
- Forbidden City - The Palace Museum- 476 Reviews, 1,003 Photos
- Summer Palace- 309 Reviews, 616 Photos
- Great Wall of China - Mutianyu- 89 Reviews, 236 Photos
- Temple of Heaven- 220 Reviews, 469 Photos
- Tiananmen Square- 157 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Great Wall of China - Badaling- 112 Reviews, 251 Photos
- Lama Temple - Yonghegong- 65 Reviews, 150 Photos
- Beihai Park- 100 Reviews, 180 Photos
- Great Wall of China- 96 Reviews, 136 Photos
- Wangfujing Street- 31 Reviews, 47 Photos
See All Beijing Things to Do