Beijing Favorite Tips by kokoryko
Beijing Favorites: 412 reviews and 458 photos
Do you see the crowds on the wall?
Favorite thing: Lourdes and the Pyramids: I tell about the crowds, the people there!
I took a bus in Beijing (bus N° 919, for 12 Y for the 70km to the great wall; by taxi it is 250Y. . . ) and arrived at the Great wall (great wall of Ba Da Ling part) one and a half hour later. I will not write and describe a lot as this place seem one of the most visited places on the planet; looking at all the people I almost decided to return to Beijing on the spot! Well I kept there, paid entrance fee, and went to visit the wall.
All what you can see is the renovated part of the wall, and attractions (they did not attract me! I was not in the mood for that), museums and other facilities.
Many people and noise, music: there was music, loudspeakers, etc. . . and a display on a hill for the future Olympics in Beijing.
I went up on the left side, where it seemed a bit more quiet, and after walking for 10mn, the crowds became looser, less people and I could begin to breathe and look quietly and the landscape and at the wall.
I must say, I do not like the renovated things which look too new, too clean, and the renovated part of the great wall is like that.
Many vendors (souvenirs, hats, false old coins (may be true coins from the Ming or other imperial era) spoil the place too, but at the end I did not care of them. The only interesting thing on the wall was to look at the landscape, look at this wall in the mountain, turning and climbing looking like a giant snake sometimes.
Look at my off the beaten path tip about the wall to know what can be much more interesting to do at the wall!
To get there:Bus, 919
Tour operators organise buses there.
Fondest memory: Main picture:Do you see the crowds on the wall? You understand what I mean with Mourdes, the Pyramids, and why I almost returned to Beijing?
Picture 2:This wall looks too clean, too new, no? I was not expecting to foind something like that here.Most beautiful is the landscape with the wall running on the mountains.
Picture 3: At the entrance of the Ba Da Ling part of the Great Wall; maps and explanations for what to do and where.For the interested people there seems a lot to do, but as already written, not in the crowds for me.
Picture 4: People everywhere, big ads on the hill (here for the Olympic games), and you do not hear the loudspeakers with supermarket music . . .
Picture 5: Ah, and here the vendors near the entrance of the Ba DaLing area; they are almost aggressive, want to sell you absolutely something if you happen just to have a glimpse at their things; one grabbed my arm and I almost lost patience, which in China would not at all have had a good effect; just try to keep cool with these people, they try to do their job.
More Reviews (16)
kokoryko's Related Pages
Beijing Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing - Imperial Peking"
- "My wonderful Beijing"
- "Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall"
- "Beijing - The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing (北京)"
- "Beijing----gives you much more than you expected!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beijing
- Hotels in Beijing
- Transportation in Beijing
- Nightlife in Beijing
- Restaurants in Beijing
- Shopping in Beijing
- Warnings and Dangers in Beijing
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ballydangan Hotels
- Birkhadem Hotels
- Vlodrop-Station Hotels
- Zanzibar Island
- Ayrancilar Hotels
Badges & Stats in Beijing
- 17 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Beijing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beijing
Photos in BeijingSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pau Intro, 83 reviews, 427 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 344 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 68 reviews, 340 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 69 reviews, 315 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 306 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Danau Toba Intro, 40 reviews, 227 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 43 reviews, 195 photos
- Monts du Forez Intro, 39 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 43 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (38)
Latest Beijing hotel reviews
- Beijing International Hotel
- 151 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Shangri-la Kerry Centre Hotel
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Lee Garden Service Apartments
- 163 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Swissotel Beijing
- 309 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- The Westin Beijing, Financial Street
- 297 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- GRAND HYATT BEIJING
- 636 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- The Marco Polo Hotel Beijing
- 263 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- China World Summit Wing
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 6, 2013
- Zhaolong Hotel
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Tangyue Hotel Beijing
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Orange Hotel (Beijing Xizhimen)
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 27, 2012
- Comfort Inn And Suites Beijing
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- Forbidden City- 384 Reviews, 765 Photos
- Great Wall - Mutianyu- 74 Reviews, 204 Photos
- Tiananmen Square- 279 Reviews, 478 Photos
- Great Wall- 141 Reviews, 212 Photos
- Temple of Heaven- 163 Reviews, 324 Photos
- Hutongs - Bell and Drum Towers- 95 Reviews, 199 Photos
- Summer Palace- 146 Reviews, 266 Photos
- Wangfujing Street- 43 Reviews, 80 Photos
- Lama Temple - Yonghegong- 60 Reviews, 130 Photos
- Great Wall - Badaling- 81 Reviews, 195 Photos
See All Beijing Things to Do