"The country of kings." Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan by kokoryko

State of Rajasthan Travel Guide: 3,162 reviews and 9,650 photos

Luxury and hard life

The title is the translation of the name, I would sometimes call it Ranisthan, country of queens, so beautiful and full of courage the women of this country are, without the women, Rajasthan would not be Rajasthan.
I spent a few days in the Thar Desert, and the Aravalli Range, looking at some (very) old rocks, among other things, and was lucky to quickly visit two big cities, visit a number of little villages, little temples and shrines, had the luck to sleep in a maharajah’s bed (well, not his bed but in his palace, (and without a Rani. . . haha . . . ), and what remains of Rajasthan is a mix of all this: incredible luxury, incredible poverty, incredible contrasts, extremely welcoming people in the villages, beautiful landscapes, architecture I found so disorienting, in one word: I was enchanted; not the thousand and one nights (these took place in the Caliph’s palace in Baghdad), but not far from there, a mix of central Asia I loved so much when I travelled there, and Orient where the people (and their way of looking at things and the world) are so different from my western view of things.

Rajputs, yes, but also camels.. . .

And every day’s life, in that country (state, to be correct!), I only had a very tiny flavour of it; I would have liked to share more of my hosts life there.
Rajasthan exists as it is only since 1949, when at independence of India, all the Rajputanas, little states ruled by local princes (Rajputs) were merged in one state, included in the Union of India. Each prince was more or less a tribal leader, and history, wars, resistance to Islam led to a mosaic of little states, each with its own traditions, religious life, social rules. . . .
An emblematic animal of this country is the camel; without camel, no agriculture, no travel across the desert, no meat (not all people are vegetarians); I have seen lots of camels elsewhere, but here, they are decorated, a bit venerated, more than just an animal. . . .

The most famous Rajputanas were Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodhpur, Amber, Bikaner, Jaisalmer, . . etc. I only visited Bikaner and Jodhpur, just a little bit of desert and mountains of Rajasthan, but it gives an idea of the architectural richness, of the strange countryside, of the wonderful people of this state and makes me wanting to visit it again. It is a really beautiful place! I hope to give here a little bit of this beauty. I was here on a working trip with a few geologist colleagues and had tight schedules and the purpose of the trip was looking at some rocks; I won’t bother you with rocks --well, just a little bit (-: --, and every time it was possible, I left the group for a few minutes or an hour or two, to see something “real” of the places.

A few days in the desert of the country of kings; the name sounds to me a bit like a mix of orient and central Asia

My photographs are not works of art, my writings are not literature.
Be kind, I posted them here, and I would appreciate you inform me if you intend to display them elsewhere! Merci!

• Pros:Beautiful world.
  • Last visit to State of Rajasthan: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Jan 18, 2009

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2010 at 7:25 PM

The photo of the Beauty is amazing!

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2010 at 1:41 AM

I liked rajasthan which reminded me of some parts of Sudan.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Lovely page on Rajasthan.Also my favourite destination in India.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2009 at 9:30 PM

After saw your page I must say Thanks and Thanks .

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2008 at 2:58 AM

Super page, i loved Rajastan and the dancers, the desert, the architecture

• RAJASTHANBYCAR's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Rajasthan is my fevrate place, the people, culter, histry and life of desert.

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 10:46 AM

This is another wonderful page with the usual thought-provoking insights. You've captured the true spirit of Rajasthan. My only glimpse of this state was a work visit to a factory in the middle of the desert. I shld come back someday.

• May 26, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Such a touching & thought provoking page! “Beauties and hard work” is heart wrenching. “Amazing how hard work, common gestures of life can show some special beauty and elegance.” I share this view with you, my friend.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Fundamental VT masterpiece with a deep insight into local life so unusual on VT. Thanks Hermann for showing us Rajasthan and its people.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2008 at 3:39 PM

A really spectacular page on your Rajasthan impressions!! I loved the views of and from the Mehrangarh Fort and all the details of your desert explorations - water for travellers and beautiful people! Those railway gate-keepers really do have the 'power'!

kokoryko

“Il me plait de courir sans but et sans raison . . . .”

Badges & Stats in State of Rajasthan

Have you been to State of Rajasthan?

Latest Activity in State of Rajasthan