"The country of kings." Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan by kokoryko
State of Rajasthan Travel Guide: 3,162 reviews and 9,650 photos
The title is the translation of the name, I would sometimes call it Ranisthan, country of queens, so beautiful and full of courage the women of this country are, without the women, Rajasthan would not be Rajasthan.
I spent a few days in the Thar Desert, and the Aravalli Range, looking at some (very) old rocks, among other things, and was lucky to quickly visit two big cities, visit a number of little villages, little temples and shrines, had the luck to sleep in a maharajah’s bed (well, not his bed but in his palace, (and without a Rani. . . haha . . . ), and what remains of Rajasthan is a mix of all this: incredible luxury, incredible poverty, incredible contrasts, extremely welcoming people in the villages, beautiful landscapes, architecture I found so disorienting, in one word: I was enchanted; not the thousand and one nights (these took place in the Caliph’s palace in Baghdad), but not far from there, a mix of central Asia I loved so much when I travelled there, and Orient where the people (and their way of looking at things and the world) are so different from my western view of things.
And every day’s life, in that country (state, to be correct!), I only had a very tiny flavour of it; I would have liked to share more of my hosts life there.
Rajasthan exists as it is only since 1949, when at independence of India, all the Rajputanas, little states ruled by local princes (Rajputs) were merged in one state, included in the Union of India. Each prince was more or less a tribal leader, and history, wars, resistance to Islam led to a mosaic of little states, each with its own traditions, religious life, social rules. . . .
An emblematic animal of this country is the camel; without camel, no agriculture, no travel across the desert, no meat (not all people are vegetarians); I have seen lots of camels elsewhere, but here, they are decorated, a bit venerated, more than just an animal. . . .
The most famous Rajputanas were Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodhpur, Amber, Bikaner, Jaisalmer, . . etc. I only visited Bikaner and Jodhpur, just a little bit of desert and mountains of Rajasthan, but it gives an idea of the architectural richness, of the strange countryside, of the wonderful people of this state and makes me wanting to visit it again. It is a really beautiful place! I hope to give here a little bit of this beauty. I was here on a working trip with a few geologist colleagues and had tight schedules and the purpose of the trip was looking at some rocks; I won’t bother you with rocks --well, just a little bit (-: --, and every time it was possible, I left the group for a few minutes or an hour or two, to see something “real” of the places.
A few days in the desert of the country of kings; the name sounds to me a bit like a mix of orient and central Asia
My photographs are not works of art, my writings are not literature.
Be kind, I posted them here, and I would appreciate you inform me if you intend to display them elsewhere! Merci!
- Pros:Beautiful world.
When you drive in Rajasthan (and elsewhere in India) you sometimes come across some Diplodocus like vehicles, in fact... more travel advice
Desert, architecture, wildlife, yes, these are beauties of Rajasthan, but there are also people. . . . . Step out of the... more travel advice
kokoryko's Related Pages
State of Rajasthan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The country of kings."
- "Faces & Places of Rajasthan"
- "Land of the Rajputs"
- "A Journey across Rajasthan"
- "India's tourist state"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Rajasthan
- Hotels in State of Rajasthan
- Transportation in State of Rajasthan
- Nightlife in State of Rajasthan
- Restaurants in State of Rajasthan
- Shopping in State of Rajasthan
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Rajasthan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Rajasthan
- 34 Reviews
- 164 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to State of Rajasthan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Rajasthan
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Cherbourg hypermarket "
- Commented on one of lynnehamman's State of Rajasthan travel pages
- updated a State of Rajasthan Travel Page "The country of kings."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The country of kings."
- Wrote a Review Prehistoric vehicles? in State of Rajasthan Things to Do
Photos in State of RajasthanSee All Photos (164)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pau Intro, 83 reviews, 427 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 344 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 68 reviews, 340 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 69 reviews, 315 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 306 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Danau Toba Intro, 40 reviews, 227 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 43 reviews, 195 photos
- Monts du Forez Intro, 39 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 43 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 1 travelogue