"Beautiful rockies" Province of Alberta by kokoryko
Province of Alberta Travel Guide: 4,922 reviews and 10,390 photos
Some landscapes from the Rocky mountains.
The Alberta and British Columbia Rockies are really spectacular mountains, with very wide valleys enabling broad views over a big pat of the chain; in other mountains where valleys are narrow, you cannot see so wide sceneries or landscapes, except you climb on the highest peaks. I will not bother you with Natural Sciences , just tell you that these mountains are a world-class example of thin-skinned tectonics, where the thrust sheets involve "thin" sedimentary layers overrinding younger sedimentary formations. The tectonic features, here, are the consequences of continental drift (Plate tectonics is a more accurate wording), the sedimentary layers being folded (and thrusted) as a consequence of shortening, due to the collision of microcontinental blocks , carried by a subducting paleo-Pacific plate , with the North American plate. I stop with geology, just look at the rocks, the landscapes, they tell stories, beautiful stories, and if you are not interested in the stories, just look, dream, fill your eyes and your heart with the sceneries.
This mountain was build up from End Jurassic (150 Million Years) to Mid-Tertiary ( 30million years) , and it's foreland and foothills contain big oil and gas reserves which made Calgary the Canadian oil city. The beautiful landscapes have mostly been carved by the recent (500.000 to 30.000 years) glaciers erosion and the rivers.
If you are a driver , leave your vehicle and walk a bit on the trails marked on the roadside: enjoy!
No strenuous hikes generally, few walks to enjoy the sceneries are a good thing, and in the car, on some roads you may even make nice encounters!
I loved a lot the names of the localities and mountains, they are strange but there is always a meaning; imagine what people endured when they decided to call this place Hailstone butte.. . . . .
Other names are among a lot :
Crowsnest pass and crowsnest mountain
Old man river
etc. etc. In Europe we are not used to so explicit names, or they have changed and been altered with time, we do not know what they designate.
- Pros:Wide breathtaking
- Cons:nothing against
Some pictures en vrac of what can be seen on the road side. more travel advice
On the mountains the passes are usually the location of vertical air currents and mixtures of different air with... more travel advice
kokoryko's Related Pages
Province of Alberta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alberta - between plains and mountains"
- "The Wonder of Alberta"
- "This Province Has it All"
- "ALBERTA - CANADIAN MAGNIFICENCE"
- "AWESOME ALBERTA"
- "Alberta: God's Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Alberta
- Hotels in Province of Alberta
- Transportation in Province of Alberta
- Nightlife in Province of Alberta
- Restaurants in Province of Alberta
- Shopping in Province of Alberta
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Alberta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Alberta
- 11 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Province of Alberta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Alberta
Photos in Province of AlbertaSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pau Intro, 83 reviews, 427 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 344 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 68 reviews, 340 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 69 reviews, 315 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 306 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Danau Toba Intro, 40 reviews, 227 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 43 reviews, 195 photos
- Monts du Forez Intro, 39 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 43 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (38)
Top Province of Alberta hotels
- Edmonton Hotels
- 609 Reviews - 1001 Photos
- Banff Hotels
- 467 Reviews - 989 Photos
- Canmore Hotels
- 98 Reviews - 153 Photos
- Calgary Hotels
- 1061 Reviews - 1899 Photos
- Okotoks Hotels
- 1 Review - 9 Photos
- Jasper Hotels
- 73 Reviews - 244 Photos
- Waterton Lakes National Park Hotels
- 195 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Banff National Park Hotels
- 791 Reviews - 1541 Photos
- Red Deer Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 99 Photos
- Fort McMurray Hotels
- 49 Reviews - 139 Photos
- Lake Louise Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Drumheller Hotels
- 84 Reviews - 205 Photos
- Slave Lake Hotels
- 7 Hotels
- Medicine Hat Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Stettler Hotels
- 1 Review - 10 Photos