"Short road trip through South Idaho" Top 5 Page for this destination Idaho by kokoryko

Idaho Travel Guide: 708 reviews and 1,951 photos

Marvellous trees and birds

During my stay in Wyoming, last September-October, I made a short excursion to southern Idaho and Northern Utah; a road trip, a trip I am not used to do; but I wanted to see two special places, so I had no real choice: rent a car and drive. A few days in changing landscapes (even these are not the most spectacular of Idaho), discovering another west, the dust storms, the beautiful forests (again!), the boring flat Snake River Plain, but breathtaking sunsets and sunrises, and some special rocks and landscapes.

It is just a very little page here, but I hope you will enjoy the road and the stops. . . . Stops to watch birds for instance. . . .

Some remains from the old West

Stop to look at old wagons which crossed the continent 120 years ago. . . . . .
My trip took me from Jackson (WY) through the Snake River Range, in the mist and snow, to the Craters of the Moon National Monument, through the Snake River Plain with its dust storms (and again, no visibility!), then via Twin Falls to the City of Rocks National Reserve and then to Utah.
I discovered small villages, had beer in “real saloons”, walked few hours here and there in beautiful landscapes, and was always amazed by the colors the nature provides to the one who looks at her.

Country music

And, as I was discovering THE WEST on the road, I put on the radio in the car, and listened to country music for hours and hours and kilometers and kilometers. . . . . . On the road again (Willie Nelson), is of course compulsory, but there are also
Neil Young, the legendary Johnny Cash; old fashioned Dolly Parton is also nice when driving. . . . and many other “monuments” of country music; that sort of music fitted in my trip, fitted with the landscapes, with the atmosphere on the road. I am not at all a road trip addict, but, adding some easy to find ingredients gives the trip a special taste.
But of course, music was off when I walked in the rocks and trees. . .

• Pros:Mountain landscapes
  • Cons:Plain land"scapes"
  • In a nutshell:Take your time
  • Last visit to Idaho: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 7, 2008

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I was shocked to read about the frequent dust storms caused by unsound agriculture practices. Somehow I thought (naively, I suppose) that they had learned some lessons from the dust storms of the 1930s.

• Oct 12, 2010 at 1:16 AM

now i see the attraction of the regin for you - rock lovers paradise! a fascinating page and wonderful photos as always.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2009 at 12:59 PM

I so much enjoyed reading your descriptions of a state we have yet to visit. Beautiful photos too, of both scenery and birdlife - and I loved the ruined barn and your cowboy images too

• Apr 4, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Wonderful pictures, the small things that make up a sense of place

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2008 at 5:21 AM

Fascinating - loved travelling along with you - extraordinary geology and the elegaic emptiness - love shot of ruined house. leyle

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Wonderful pages! I like the way you travel - with an active and open mind, always searching for answers - and listening to Dolly Parton! Hey, I'd love to have beers and steak in a real saloon among real cowboys, too! Thanks for this trip down Idaho.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Spectacular views and a great geology lesson as well! It was interesting to read your impressions of experiencing the rural lifestyle of the American west!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2008 at 2:57 PM

The journey is what matters... and not the arrival... especially cruisin' along the highway listening to Neil Young searching for his heart of gold :~)

kokoryko

“Il me plait de courir sans but et sans raison . . . .”

Badges & Stats in Idaho