"Short road trip through South Idaho" Top 5 Page for this destination Idaho by kokoryko
Idaho Travel Guide: 723 reviews and 1,987 photos
During my stay in Wyoming, last September-October, I made a short excursion to southern Idaho and Northern Utah; a road trip, a trip I am not used to do; but I wanted to see two special places, so I had no real choice: rent a car and drive. A few days in changing landscapes (even these are not the most spectacular of Idaho), discovering another west, the dust storms, the beautiful forests (again!), the boring flat Snake River Plain, but breathtaking sunsets and sunrises, and some special rocks and landscapes.
It is just a very little page here, but I hope you will enjoy the road and the stops. . . . Stops to watch birds for instance. . . .
Stop to look at old wagons which crossed the continent 120 years ago. . . . . .
My trip took me from Jackson (WY) through the Snake River Range, in the mist and snow, to the Craters of the Moon National Monument, through the Snake River Plain with its dust storms (and again, no visibility!), then via Twin Falls to the City of Rocks National Reserve and then to Utah.
I discovered small villages, had beer in “real saloons”, walked few hours here and there in beautiful landscapes, and was always amazed by the colors the nature provides to the one who looks at her.
And, as I was discovering THE WEST on the road, I put on the radio in the car, and listened to country music for hours and hours and kilometers and kilometers. . . . . . On the road again (Willie Nelson), is of course compulsory, but there are also
Neil Young, the legendary Johnny Cash; old fashioned Dolly Parton is also nice when driving. . . . and many other “monuments” of country music; that sort of music fitted in my trip, fitted with the landscapes, with the atmosphere on the road. I am not at all a road trip addict, but, adding some easy to find ingredients gives the trip a special taste.
But of course, music was off when I walked in the rocks and trees. . .
- Pros:Mountain landscapes
- Cons:Plain land"scapes"
- In a nutshell:Take your time
Walking in the rocks got me hungry and I drove down to Almo, before resuming my little hikes. For a European, it is... more travel advice
To many of you, this might sound very common, but me, I was discovering the deep (not so wild) West. Haha, real cowboys... more travel advice
kokoryko's Related Pages
Idaho Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Short road trip through South Idaho"
- "Idaho from the Capitol on..."
- "Beautiful State of Idaho"
- "Post Falls and Coeur d"
- "Beautiful Idaho"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Idaho
- Hotels in Idaho
- Transportation in Idaho
- Nightlife in Idaho
- Restaurants in Idaho
- Shopping in Idaho
- Warnings and Dangers in Idaho
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Idaho
- 12 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Idaho?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Idaho
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pau Intro, 83 reviews, 427 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 344 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 68 reviews, 340 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 69 reviews, 315 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 306 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Danau Toba Intro, 40 reviews, 227 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 43 reviews, 195 photos
- Monts du Forez Intro, 39 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 43 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 1 travelogue