"Older than Rome !" Top 5 Page for this destination Trier by kokoryko

Trier Travel Guide: 571 reviews and 1,408 photos

One thousand and three hundred years before Rome!

Trier stood one thousand and three hundred years before Rome !

This claim, you can see on a house on the main market place is of course a medieval provocation, but there were settlements in the Mosel valley probably long before, and traces of pre-German tribes as old as 3000 years BC have been found in Trier.
Augusta Treverorum, later Trier was founded by Emperor Augustus on the territory of the Celtic Treveri tribe, about 16 BC. Emperor Diocletian made Trier an imperial residence at the end of the third century, and the Capital of the West Roman Empire for some time. Emperor Constantin had his residence for some time in Trier and built the original cathedral. At the death of Charlemagne (842), his empire was divided into three parts, and Trier belonged to Lotharingia until 870, when it became part of the Roman German Empire. Only in the 14th century the archbishop of Trier became an elector prince of the Holy Roman German Empire, making Trier the capital of an electoral state, flourishing as a great city; in the 18th and 19th centuries, the Napoleonian wars and other wars led to its decline; it belonged to France, Prussia, several times. . . . Since 1945, the “oldest city of Germany” is a part of the Rhineland-Palatinate state of the Federal Republic of Germany. This rich and bustling history has left some records in the city, like the market place, the cathedral, and of course, the spectacular Roman ruins.

Beautiful evening walk in the city

I stayed only one night in Trier, arriving late afternoon, (but in May, in central Europe, the daylight lasts till 9:30 pm), and leaving noon next day. With my Indonesian friend, we had a great evening in the city centre, discovering a few beautiful places and interesting local customs. A morning walk, to catch the atmosphere of a German (and touristy) city, for my friend, and we left, going back to the Ardennes.
There are many things to see in this city, a few monuments, but also a lot of little things to be discovered walking along, small fountains, statues, houses and windows, a very baroque atmosphere in this old Roman city.

Karl Marx must be turning in his grave!!

I knew, of course, the great Karl Marx was born in Trier, but did not think about him till. . . . . . hell! I see his portrait on sightseeing buses!!!! I am almost sure, if he knew this, he would turn in his grave in London; not a matter of cult of personality (he would have warned Stalin!), but being used as a tourist attraction, or as a publicity object, promoting tourism. . . . . Ah, once in the last resting place, you have not anymore control on your destiny. . . . I was at the Karl Marx Museum, but did not visit! His “Das Kapital” (French edition, in three volumes, of which, I must confess, I red only the first 400 pages out of 1800), “ Das Manifest” (French edition too) and other books are on my bookshelves in Pau, and I prefer to keep him like that rather than as a tourist souvenir. . . . .

• Pros:History, beautiful pedestrian area
  • Cons:No important cons. . . . . .
  • In a nutshell:Deserves more than a one day visit!
  • Last visit to Trier: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 16, 2008

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Herman, lovely page with brilliant photos of this German gem, which I still haven't visited.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2011 at 12:05 PM

You did wonderful and detailed comments in presentation of this town, and the pictures are well done. Maybe we can get to west Germany one day, but going to Dresden and Bamberg in October

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Lovely page & photo's. Had a laugh about your description of the "hordes!"

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Thank you Hermann, your Trier pages are fabulous and have given me lots of info which will be very useful when I visit trier in September. Kate

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2008 at 9:04 AM

We enjoyed Trier very much too - as well as the Porta Nigra, Neumann's Paulin church stays in my mind particularly.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 1:54 AM

Very interesting and well-informed tips! I lived in Trier for several months in 1966 and even took the city's training course for tour guides (I was supposed to do tours in English) but had to leave before I could actually lead any tours.

• Jul 3, 2008 at 5:52 AM

During my two-year stint in Germany, I spent all my free time in Trier. My favorite section of the city was the old Jewish Quarter where I spent much of my time writing, painting, & playing the trombone in a local Jazz club.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2008 at 12:48 PM

You were fortunate to visit Trier! Yes, for us Russians this city is connected with the name of Karl Marx. I loved your thoughts about him and laughed with you. Dream to see the Porta Nigra one day. Thanks Hermann for the virtual tour!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2008 at 6:11 AM

Trier is quite a beautiful city and you certainly did quite well to see so much in your short time there! I really liked the impressive Porta Nigra and your hotel was an excellent choice from the looks of things.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Karl's caricature encouraging capitalism??? He would be completely choleric ;~)

kokoryko

“Il me plait de courir sans but et sans raison . . . .”

Badges & Stats in Trier