"Ambert, little Auvergne city" Ambert by kokoryko

Ambert Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 86 photos

La Fourme

When my friends ask me where I was last summer, when I happen to reply “Ambert”, they say “Ah le pays de la fourme!” The fourme is the name of a local cheese, very well known in France (and elsewhere?), as Fourme d’Ambert (Fourme from Ambert). Oh already wrote 4 times its name, there is not only this delicious blue cow milk cheese; Ambert is a little city at the feet of the mountains, in the Dore valley, between the Monts du Forez and the Monts du Livradois showing nice old houses, some strange buildings, a few museums and the surroundings are almost unspoiled nature, like many parts of Auvergne.

The cheese has even its website

Short history

The origin of Ambert is not well known and it appears in History in the 15th century; it seems there were three districts corresponding to three different social actors: the priests and monks, the traders and the “lords”; when the districts widened they merged in one city surrounded by a defensive wall (this wall has disappeared in between). During the end of the 16th century the city suffered from religion wars and was almost destroyed.
During the 18th century the city grows rapidly to a regional trading centre and paper and textile factories develop in the city and nearby valleys; it grows that fast that the defensive wall is destroyed, the trenches filled and replaced by wide boulevards.
In this remote and rural place the French revolution did not have a big impact and Ambert is today almost like at the end of the 19th century.

Les copains

Ambert is the city of “Les copains”, the friends, a novel from Jules Romains, and “Gaspard des Montagnes” a famous (in France!) picaresque novel from Henri Pourrat, a native Ambertois, has parts of Ambert as background. Ah!, for Don (Nemorino), if he reads this, Emmanuel Chabrier is a native from Ambert, but there is no opera house where his music is played.. . . .Now , Ambert, counting 8000 inhabitants is a rather dynamic little city developing small industries, and tourism becomes an important economic activity for the city and the villages around.
The Ambert I will tell you about is just the city as I can see it (when I carry on my camera, I notice that when I am at “home” I only make photographs of kids, family and friends, and. . I am here in VT since I just left Ambert for some reason and came back there only once in between, with no VT mood. . ) . I will add tips and pictures when I next will visit it. In the last 15 years I was at least once a year here.
Last: Ambert with its fourme could not do less than being a twin-city of Gorgonzola, where another wonderful blue cheese is produced.

I recently found one of my pictures somewhere on the web where it has nothing to do.
It arrived there without permission.
My pictures are far from being works of art, but be kind and ask if you want to use.
Unless otherwise marked, I am the author of the pictures.

• Pros:nice houses
  • Cons:nothing
  • Intro Updated Jan 19, 2007

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 1:53 AM

Wonderful informative page here. I just love the half-timbered houses-so glad that they are being preserved.And being a vegetarian myself, I am glad that those cows can wander free (for a while, anyway)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Ambert looks like a beautiful little spot to have called 'home'! Thanks for the great photos of those old half-timbered houses. Your travels through the local countryside were very interesting too!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Great tips and photos! I will have to look for La fourme d’Ambert to try. Best from New Jersey, Bill

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2007 at 8:39 AM

Fantastic page, beautiful photos and good info. Cheese, meat, steam engines and old buildings make a powerul combination and I am longing to visit......

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Fine evocative travelogues and interesting tips! I have never read a novel by Jules Romains up to now, but will make a note to do so. Fascinating explanations of cheese-making techniques.

• white_smallstar's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2007 at 2:09 AM

« Ici » il y a toujours des belles pages avec beaucoup d’informations et belles photos! **N**

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2007 at 9:47 AM

Hiking in the forests, along the river and over medows around Ambert sounds lovely! Those old houses in town looks great!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2006 at 12:31 AM

A very informative and detailed page with beautiful pics about place which is worth visiting. I knew its name only as a name of cheese. Thanks Hermann for sharing! Merry Christmas and happy New year!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2006 at 7:09 PM

Arresting architecture and a fabulous Fourme where one can stop to smell the cheeses... and rambling hills for hiking... just magic :~)

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2006 at 4:10 AM

Hermann, you have convinced me - one day I shall have to go back to the Auvergne in the spring/summer: it looks great. Have to try that cheese too!

kokoryko

“Il me plait de courir sans but et sans raison . . . .”

Badges & Stats in Ambert