"Wonderful people in a hectic, polluted megalopolis" Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta by kokoryko
Jakarta Travel Guide: 1,351 reviews and 2,714 photos
Twenty tree million inhabitants,. . . . and still growing. . . . or thirteen million, depends the sources and the definition of the urban area; whatever it a big, very big city, the biggest of South East Asia and second urbanised area of the planet. . . . . (http://tbelfield.wordpress.com/2008/06/10/jakarta-batavia-djakarta-jakarta-population-and-the-chinese/)
And a city which has grown from 1 million inhabitants in 1948 to 6.5 in 1980 to 13 in 2004 (ibid.) could not do else than have serious development and environmental problems; A long article on that subject is here if you are interested: http://tbelfield.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/yulinawati_jakarta_2005.pdf
Water and air pollution, traffic jams, deadly floods, and in the past (and probably in the future) earthquakes, tsunamis, . . . no, not an idyllic picture! But Jakarta is incredible, this city lives day and night, there is an energy here, a “primal energy”, a “will to life” I did not see in other places; people are exceptional here, I mean the people who commute, who are on the markets, live in the city districts, in the kampungs (kampungs are villages, and many quarters of Jakarta are like villages. . . ), who make food, who eat, work, learn, live. . . . . . .
Not a dream destination, few foreign tourists, not many “attractions”, but a bit recent history and wonderful people. Only for people, and the megalopolis atmosphere, Jakarta is worth a visit.
Indonesia, before being a united country (tanks the Dutch, in some way. . . ) was an archipelago with many regencies, sultanates, principalities, and politician tried to develop a “national feeling” among the population, and the spectacular Monas (Monumen Nasional) participates to the development of this feeling.
When the Dutch arrived at the mouth of the Ciliwung river, Jayakarta was a small village, but it is there that Jan Pieterszoon Coen decided to establish the base of the Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie (United East Indies company), and founded Batavia.
Very few is left from old Batavia, and also is was so small, compared to the city which grew after the sixties; in the North, (Jakarta Utara) are a few remains of the old city and there are a few museums recalling the history of Jakarta, and Indonesia in general, some specialised museums (puppets, ceramics. . . ) and there is a lot to learn about that city.
Jakarta is huge, very huge, and with the traffic jams it may take hours to go from one place to the other; so here, in North Jakarta are a few interesting places and luckily, they are in a small perimeter. Myself, I enjoy(ed) walking in North Jakarta, in the old harbour, look at the old houses, and have a break at Taman Fatahillah and have a drink in Café Batavia.
The Jakarta museums may not have the “western standards”, but they have a great personality, I spent (and could spend more) hours in the maritime museum, and the history museum has a few surprises for the visitors. . . .
Where is the heart of the city? This city, like may be some dinosaurs, has several hearts. There are several shopping areas, with giant malls, great commercial centres where everyday thousands and thousands of shoppers shop, workers work, vendors sell, thieves rob, beggars beg. . . . . . I know big shopping centres like Block M, the Sarina mall, or Pondok Indah luxury mall, and this time, I just kept far from there, I even did not go to Pasar Raya, a very good mall on a few levels where it is possible to buy products and handicraft from all over Indonesia. Jakarta was my base for tours in Central Java and North Sumatra and I just spent a few days in the city, walking in the streets, dreaming at the harbour, enjoying. . . . . . Jakarta is not a “dream destination”, not a resort, but it is an incredibly interesting city, there is so much to see and to learn; it is a vey rich city, rich of history and rich of wonderful people.
I posted them here, and I would appreciate you ask if intend to use them elsewhere!
- In a nutshell:Heaven and hell
You can find kaki lima (picture 1: five legs: 2 wheels, a wooden leg for the cart to keep it standing, and the two legs... more travel advice
Warung Solo is like a little village in the park where it is built; there a re a few pendopos, with nicely decorated... more travel advice
kokoryko's Related Pages
Jakarta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful people in a hectic, polluted megalopolis"
- "Enjoy Jakarta"
- "the big doerian. ;-)"
- "Jakarta, The Megapolitan"
- "Jakarta - Indonesia's Melting Pot"
- "My 2nd Home"
- "A Sight of Jakarta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jakarta
- Hotels in Jakarta
- Transportation in Jakarta
- Nightlife in Jakarta
- Restaurants in Jakarta
- Shopping in Jakarta
- Warnings and Dangers in Jakarta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jakarta
- 68 Reviews
- 340 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Jakarta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jakarta
- updated a Jakarta Travel Page "Wonderful people in a hectic, polluted megalopolis"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: What's this with tips being..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wonderful people in a hectic, polluted megalopolis"
- Wrote a Review A snack on the street side? about Indonesian in Jakarta Restaurants
- Commented on one of MeToTheWorld's Jakarta travel pages
Photos in JakartaSee All Photos (340)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pau Intro, 83 reviews, 427 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 344 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 68 reviews, 340 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 69 reviews, 315 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 306 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Danau Toba Intro, 40 reviews, 227 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 43 reviews, 195 photos
- Monts du Forez Intro, 39 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 43 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 1 travelogue