"Danau Toba : a dive in Batak country" Top 5 Page for this destination Danau Toba by kokoryko
Danau Toba Travel Guide: 133 reviews and 479 photos
If you look at Sumatra on Google Earth you will notice a few striking geographical features: the Sumatra fault (one branch of which was responsible for the Dec. 26th 2004 earthquake and tsunami), a few volcanoes and in North Sumatra, Lake Toba, the biggest caldera lake on the planet. A caldera is a caused by the explosion of groundwater heated by ascending magma (like a pressure cooker could explode if it had a slight failure), and this explosion is the biggest known in the last 10.000 years; the eruption of Mt St Helens in 1980 is estimated 8000 times smaller. . . The result of this volcanic activity is now a lake with a big island in the middle, and this place has attracted wonderful people who decided to settle here few thousands years ago. The weather in North Sumatra is not always sunny, and you will see many photographs with mist and clouds. . . . but climate is part of geography and geography belongs to travels. . . .
Weather is not always bad, people would not like to live here, and Danau Toba (Lake Toba) would not be a famous travel destination. To discover Lake Toba and its surroundings a few days are a minimum, and it can be done based on the mainland, or from a guest house in some village on the island of Samosir. Samosir is a very quiet, still not too much spoiled by mass tourism place, where it is easy to go around with public transportation or with a rented motorbike. Of course, wandering around on a canoe must be great, but I did not enquire for that sort of transportation here. The locals of course use a lot barks and canoes, for transporting people and goods, and even bring the kids to school!
Seeing people living at slow pace is relaxing and brings peace to the soul and their smiles enlighten your days. . . .
I stayed a few days in Parapat, a small city on the mainland and took the ferry to go to Samosir. I also “explored” (how pretentious this word is when playing tourist!) some parts of the mainland around Lake Toba, walked in some forest, discovered small villages and unknown shrines for Batak ancestors, enjoyed views above the lake, watched lots of dragonflies, butterflies, birds, but did not meet Harimau; Harimau is the tiger in Indonesian, and there are probably not anymore in the area, killed and pushed away by demographic pressure. I was lucky to have some catches of local customs and meet wonderful people, even it was for some short hours or minutes only! The villages and their typical houses are of course the most striking characteristic of the Lake Toba area, with the small shrines you find about everywhere in the countryside; the villages are living villages, and the new generation is ready to take the place of the ancestors. . . .
Our trips will take us on Samosir Island, in the middle of Lake Toba and we will also wander on the shores and in villages of the mainland, close to the lake
- In a nutshell:Discover with your heart
The chances of meeting a tiger, elephant or leopard are very low, but tiny animals make nature wonderful too, and it is... more travel advice
Who did not dream of a “heavenly” life on an island, in warm climate, eating coconuts and bananas, working just what is... more travel advice
kokoryko's Related Pages
Danau Toba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Danau Toba : a dive in Batak country"
- "Horas - Danau Toba"
- "Spend at least one week here!!!!"
- "Kick back and meet the Toba people!"
- "Danau Toba Page"
- "Beberapa capung capung (a few dragonflies)"
- "A calm, large, deep, friendly lake."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Danau Toba
- Hotels in Danau Toba
- Transportation in Danau Toba
- Nightlife in Danau Toba
- Restaurants in Danau Toba
- Shopping in Danau Toba
- Warnings and Dangers in Danau Toba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Danau Toba
- 40 Reviews
- 227 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Danau Toba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Danau Toba
Photos in Danau TobaSee All Photos (227)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pau Intro, 83 reviews, 427 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 344 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 68 reviews, 340 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 69 reviews, 315 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 306 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Danau Toba Intro, 40 reviews, 227 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 43 reviews, 195 photos
- Monts du Forez Intro, 39 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 43 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 1 travelogue