"Jammu: not touristy, but interesting. . . .really!" Jammu by kokoryko

Jammu Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 109 photos

Strange atmosphere . . . . .

« There is nothing to see in Jammu »; I quote here a very famous travel guide . . . . . (French version, 2004, page 254), you know this Planet . . . . .
Well, I must admit Jammu is not a “touristy place”, and may not be a “must see” destination, but if you happen to pass by on your way to higher Kashmir, or are “trapped” at a conference, it is interesting to visit, walk in the busy streets, look at this “City of Temples” and catch a bit the atmosphere of this city, not far from Pakistan, where at every street corner, you feel the presence of militaries, you feel that a little spark can get the area blown up. . . . .
Well, we are in Kashmir, (State of Jammu and Kashmir, officially), the state disputed by India and Pakistan since their independence from British colonialism, and if India and Pakistan signed treaties, on the Indian side (and probably, on the Pakistan side too), they are ready for a possible confrontation. But people keep smiling so beautifully. . . . enchantment is also meeting people.

An interesting example of proselytism. . . .

India is a multi-confessional country, and, if in Jammu an Kashmir, the majority of the population is Muslim, in Jammu city, the majority is Hindu; people belong to communities, and here, many belong to their religious group (the Umma, for Muslim), their village community, before belonging to a civil entity (citizenship, for example), and the authorities try to develop a “National belonging feeling” among the population; that is why for example, in this “City of Temples” you will see many very recently built Hindu temples, for the people who come to live in the area; India gives incentives for people who settle in Jammu and Kashmir, in order the Muslim majority is not too majority. That sort of practise has been done by political leaders in many places, since ages, and I do not write a value judgment. From what I red (guides, reports, and of course, “Kashmira” from Salman Rushdie**) and caught here, people feel Kashmiri before they feel Indian.
Police and army show also their presence in Jammu and Kashmir because of risks of terrorist strikes or because of inter religious fights which happen from time to time. So not a really touristy atmosphere here, and I did not see a lot of tourists (except a few fellows who were at the conference I attended).

Trapped at a conference

I had to attend a conference in Jammu. . . . . euh, speeches are not exactly my cup of tea, but it is sometimes part of my job, so, I did not, like Jonas, take the risk to spend some time in the belly of some whale, I obeyed my boss, and the “Gondwanan” preach. . . . had to be given.
I arrived in Jammu one day before the conference and, leaving my luggage at the hotel, I immediately took a dive in Jammu, tried to get lost and to feel what was going around.
My return flight was on an afternoon, so I had again a few hours for me, and visited again the old city.
Those who already made me the favour to read some of the stuffs I “throw” here in VT, know that many of my travels are job related, so like for other trips, I add some time to my trips to visit the places where my job takes me, and of course, I will not bother more with my professional activity.

** I believe that real literature learns us thousands times more about places and people than most of the pretentious sites promoting industrial tourism, which clutter up the Web. (I do not tell about this site, which among many other things, shares travel experiences, and to which I modestly (?) contribute).

My photographs are not works of art, my writings are not literature.
Be kind, I posted them here, and I would appreciate you inform me if you intend to display them elsewhere! Merci!

• Pros:A different India
  • Cons:Police and military
  • In a nutshell:Interesting atmosphere
  • Last visit to Jammu: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2008

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM

You have the gift of making a "non-touristy place" very interesting! Thanks for sharing, and love the pics of the workers at the botanical park and of the Himalayas. Excellent pages!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Interesting page on Jammu, Hermann. Having seen much of India- I would dearly love to see the Kashmiri area. This seems unlikely, with the troubles still going on. Good that you found a good guide in Jammu. Excellent photos.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2008 at 11:11 PM

Great photos and interesting reading! It is always enjoyable to walk around in those non touristic places (with the exception of walking alone, as a woman, a Friday in Bandar-e Langeh). Merry Christmas Hermann!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2008 at 8:50 PM

Thank for taking us through this curious corner of Kashmir!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2008 at 1:04 PM

It may not be "touristy" but your page is all the more interesting for that. I do like your photos of the gardeners, the reflection in the fountain, the statues and more. And your descriptions transport the reader to these streets and gardens so well :-)

• Sep 29, 2008 at 8:34 PM

Is your company hiring? You have the most ideal job I have ever known, which affords you so many opportunities to travel-& at the expense of the company I imagine.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2008 at 2:56 PM

Beautiful photos and insightful texts, as always! Great that your work takes you to such interesting but non-touristy places. Too bad about all the uniforms, but it sounds like the locals did their best to welcome their “honourable and esteemed visitors”.

• white_smallstar's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2008 at 4:51 AM

Great intro photo. I have to return here again! *

kokoryko

“Il me plait de courir sans but et sans raison . . . .”

Badges & Stats in Jammu