Uganda Off The Beaten Path Tips by kokoryko
Uganda Off The Beaten Path: 30 reviews and 47 photos
the well head
In the 1930’s a British company conducted petroleum exploration on the shores of Lake Albert; there were some shows (“oil springs”) and the company drilled a well nearby; this well head is there since the 30’s and shows that petroleum is a protector from corrosion. The oil is very viscous and does almost not flow at ambient temperature. We could not find out whether the people of the villages use that oil for whatever usage; The bubbles in the ring show it is an active seep.
Bukuma village is located a few kilometres from Lake Albert , on the road to Masindi; the pictures here show a rather big village, with very few people present and almost no activity; a weird feeling when walking in the village. And looking at some houses, reading what is written on, gives a more scary feeling. . .
There are many isolated villages on the Ugandan shores of Lake Albert; at that time the foreigners were not welcomed, and I do not know for today, if things have changed. It is a strange feeling arriving at these very quiet villages where there is almost no life. . .
View towards the lake from the escarpment
Many villages are accessible only by boat or by trails descending the Rift escarpment. Kybyiro is a small and poor village living on fishing and salt extraction; the salt is carried by feet up the escarpment and then transported to the village markets.
This village is quite isolated and people there have their only revenue
from fishing , a few cattle and from the salt mines.
The poverty in the village was compensated by the friendliness of their people, despite recent suffering.
Kibyiro hot spring
At Kyibiro, The hot spring form a littles stream which rapidly infiltrates into the soil and deposits its minerals.
The small creek has a rather hich temperature (60°) and its water tastes very very bitter, due to the presence of some nitrates among the many minerals it contains; I do not know to which mineral the the colour of the water is related.
The hydrothermal springs near Kybyiro are heavily mineralised; the waters arriving at surface near the main rift escarpment fault impregnate the sands and soils at surface; the minerals concentrate in the soils which are washed to extract soluble salts and then “distilled” in very rudimentary manner; the salts recovered are not only table salt (halite, NaCl) but many other minerals which give this salt a very bitter taste and is probably not very good for health in general
More Reviews (16)
kokoryko's Related Pages
Uganda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""The pearl of Africa""
- "Undoubtedly one of Africa's hidden gems!"
- "Pearl of Africa"
- "Uganda - The Pearl of Africa"
- "BACK TO THE ROOTS"
- "Once it was called the pearl of Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uganda
- Hotels in Uganda
- Transportation in Uganda
- Nightlife in Uganda
- Restaurants in Uganda
- Shopping in Uganda
- Warnings and Dangers in Uganda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uganda
- 23 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Uganda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uganda
- updated a Uganda Travel Page "Once it was called the pearl of Africa"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: What's this with tips being..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Once it was called the pearl of Africa"
- Wrote a Review look at the map in Uganda Things to Do
- Commented on one of TinyTuck's Uganda travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pau Intro, 83 reviews, 427 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hanoi Intro, 72 reviews, 344 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 68 reviews, 340 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indonesia Intro, 69 reviews, 315 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 48 reviews, 306 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Danau Toba Intro, 40 reviews, 227 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 43 reviews, 195 photos
- Monts du Forez Intro, 39 reviews, 199 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 43 reviews, 194 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corsica Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 1 travelogue