"Welcome to Lausanne" Lausanne by Gosia78
Lausanne Travel Guide: 363 reviews and 944 photos
Lausanne is located on the shores of Lake Geneva facing Evian-les-Bains, France. The fifth city in Switzerland, capital of the canton of Vaud is approximately 60 km northeast of Geneva.
Passing through centuries of religious wars, invasions, the plague, Lausanne came into vogue in the second half of the 18th century, thanks to the famous philosopher, Rousseau. Travellers started to come to see this beautiful hilly city, with flowing rivers and pristine countryside. These cultured visitors were only the beginning of Lausanne's interest in the arts and in education, as the city established the world-famous Academy, with faculties devoted to Science and Law, an art school which opened in 1823, a municipal theatre, a science university, and of course, the city became the headquarters for the International Olympic Committee in 1915.
In this century, Lausanne continued to grow despite the serious conflicts going on all around, most notably the two world wars.
Currently a city of 125,000, Lausanne has managed to keep its history visible and accessible. With the exception of building over the major rivers and knocking down its fortified walls, most of the city's landmarks are still around. Its cathedral in the Old Town is an excellent example of the Gothic style.
"Non Violence" - monument in Olympic Park by Carl Fredrik Reutersward.
In honor of the Olympic Movement's unceasing efforts to create peace and non- violence through sport
A gift from The Sport Movement of Sweden.
The name Lausanne was taken from the steep slops and hills (loh-san) on which city is situated. If you travel one or two kilometers in any direction you wind up in vineyards villages or by the lake.
Situated in the district between the main train station and the lake, the botanical gardens of Lausanne are a small... more travel advice
Built in the 16 the century, the Town Hall has been the pivotal of civic life in Lausanne since that time. The building... more travel advice
Gosia78's Related Pages
Lausanne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lausanne – the City With Many Faces"
- "Lausanne- Medieval Charm"
- "Lausanne, old streets and lake side charms"
- "Lausanne on Lake Geneva"
- "Inferno Festival on a quiet town"
- "Lausanne et moi :)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lausanne
- Hotels in Lausanne
- Transportation in Lausanne
- Nightlife in Lausanne
- Restaurants in Lausanne
- Shopping in Lausanne
- Warnings and Dangers in Lausanne
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lausanne
- 10 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Lausanne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lausanne
Photos in LausanneSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sozopol Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Lausanne Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sopot Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Lancut Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Przemysl Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Mazury 1 review, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wojewodztwo Podlaskie Intro, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krasiczyn Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (4)
Latest Lausanne hotel reviews
- Hotel De L'ours
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 31, 2009
- Camping de Vidy
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 31, 2012
- Movenpick Hotel Lausanne
- 246 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Residence du Port Lausanne
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Beau Rivage Palace
- 229 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Hotel Aulac
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- City Hotel
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 18, 2013
- CLOSED FOR RENOVATION UNTIL SUMMER 2015 Hotel Royal Savoy
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 24, 2009
- Hotel Albatros Navigation Lausanne
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 9, 2010
- Lausanne Guesthouse
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- Nash Carlton Hotel
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Hotel Elite Lausanne
- 96 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Bellerive Hotel
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013