"Sozopol –The town of salvation" Top 5 Page for this destination Sozopol by Gosia78
Sozopol Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 240 photos
Sozopol is one of the earliest towns on the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast and dates from 2 610 years ago. It is situated upon a picturesque peninsula. The archaeological findings testify to the presence of the Thracians as its first inhabitants. In 620 B.C. immigrants from the rich city of Milet - the largest South Greek centre on the Asia Minor coast - turned the old Thracian settlement into a rich Hellene colony - the independent city-state Apollonia-Pontica.
Only as late as the beginning of c.4, with the great political and ethnic changes in the Roman empire and the growth of Constantinople's in its eastern part Apollonia regained its former significance. This is the source of the town's new name - Sozopolis, the town of salvation.
Sozopol resisted the barbarian invasions in the period from c.3 to c.7 A.D., it was annexed to Bulgaria's territory in 812 by Khan Kroum, and after that was continually conquered by Byzantium and regained from it (972-1366). In c.13 it was an important harbour centre, a mediator in the international commerce, an episcopal and metropolitan's seat. The monastery "Sveti Yoan Predtecha" (St. John the Forerunner) on the Sveti Ivan isle was a spiritual and literary centre not only on a local and a national, but also on an international level.
After the fall of Sozopol under Ottoman oppression in 1453 it gradually declined and turned into a poor fishermen's and wine-producers' settlement. It recovered in the years before the National Liberation in 1878 and especially after that because of the exclusive hardiness and vitality of its population.
Sozopol today I a romantic oasis for fishermen and artists. Everything is bright, attractive and conductive to inspiration and creativity. It’s no accident that the town host the traditional Apollonia Festival of Arts.
It is a club for everyone who likes techno and house music. During a day you can sit on balcony, delight coffee and... more travel advice
Beautiful point laces made by old ladies who sitting in front of old houses and chatting. You can choose between many... more travel advice
Gosia78's Related Pages
Sozopol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sozopol –The town of salvation"
- "Bulgaria: From Centuries For Centuries"
- "Sunny, Windy and Watery Sozopol!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sozopol
- Hotels in Sozopol
- Transportation in Sozopol
- Nightlife in Sozopol
- Restaurants in Sozopol
- Shopping in Sozopol
- Warnings and Dangers in Sozopol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sozopol
- 22 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Sozopol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sozopol
Photos in SozopolSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sozopol Intro, 22 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Lausanne Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sopot Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Lancut Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Przemysl Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Mazury 1 review, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wojewodztwo Podlaskie Intro, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krasiczyn Intro, 1 review, 2 photos