"This England" Top 5 Page for this destination England by toonsarah

England Travel Guide: 65,178 reviews and 151,776 photos

From a Sussex garden

This small page is not intended to be a full guide to the country of my birth (something I feel ill-equipped to do as I spend so much of my travelling time getting out of the country!) Instead it will grow slowly and acts as a guide, I hope, to English manners and customs, our idiosyncracies, our tastes and way of life.

Some of the tips will be "borrowed" from my other pages, but I hope you'll forgive me for that. I hope it will be helpful for travellers to these shores to learn more about "expected" behaviours here; whether you then choose to copy them or, as I would probably advise, to be considerate of them but to remain yourself, is up to you - but at least from my tips you may have some idea what to expect.

I have also included a brief overview of the the highlights of each of the nine English regions, which I hope may help you plan a trip to this country.

My English pages

And if you are looking for more detailed information about destinations in England, I can offer pages about just a few of them:

London: I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the city of my birth, but definitely more love than hate
Ealing: the small London suburb where I live may give you a flavour of a typical English residential area, though it has relatively little to offer tourists
Newcastle: this could be considered my other "adopted" home city, although in truth I have never lived here - but my husband is from here, I have spent a lot of happy times here, and my beloved football team is from here!
Bath, a lovely Georgian city only a couple of hours from London, with Roman Baths, an historic Abbey, and memories of one of my favourite English authors, Jane Austen
East Sussex: we have friends in this lovely southern county and often visit
Gloucestershire: this is one of two small pages about the Cotswold Hills, one of my favourite English regions, and very popular with tourists
Oxfordshire: as the Cotswolds straddle two counties, so do my Cotswold tips straddle two VT pages!
Corfe Castle: this is a quintessential (in my view) English village in the underated (again in my view!) county of Dorset in south-west England
Lulworth: if you are looking for some of England's most dramatic coastal scenery this is a good place to start (also in Dorset)

• Intro Updated Dec 23, 2011

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Great overview of your homeland, Sarah. It gives a real feel for the place and makes me miss my times there (though not rounds!). Hope to rectify that soon. And yes, the food was more of a highlight than the wedding. ;)

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2011 at 8:17 AM

A good Princess always knows to keep going whilst there's cake to be had!!! Gillybob greetings

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2011 at 11:14 AM

This is a funny album and I bet all these little princesses had more emotion in their faces and life in their veins than ex-Miss M and her new hubby had. The other wedding is also over and Leyle has photos on her hp :-))

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2011 at 3:31 AM

Hello, Sarah! I watched the ceremony on youtube! It was a great spirit and inspiration of the special day! ....

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Quality TL Sarah, was not bothered about watching the wedding until I switched it on at 10am and was hooked for the rest of the day.

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Sarah, your travelogue encapsulates the spirit of the day. Like you, I am rather ambivalent towards the Royals but I thought it was a very enjoyable wedding overall and nice to celebrate, despite the media circus which surrounded it.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Hi Sarah, I really like your new travelogue on the Royal Wedding. Funny to see those little girls all dressed up as princesses. Germany doesn't have any decent princesses so the little girls wear black tights to look like Lena Meyer-Landrut.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Wonderful travelogue!! Since I had the day off, I spent most of the time watching the Royal Wedding on TV myself - nice to get an "insider's" view!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Sarah, lovely travelogue about the wedding ceremony. Greetings from Switzerland.

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Wow what a wonderful page! I have now officially banned myself from looking at English pages after yours-makes me want to return to the UK! I can't afford it just yet.

toonsarah Visits Here Frequently!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in England

• 1,404 Photos

Have you been to England?

Latest Activity in England