"A close encounter" Top 5 Page for this destination Tofino by toonsarah

Tofino Travel Guide: 171 reviews and 381 photos

Grey whale

This was probably our favourite place on Vancouver Island, and I wish we’d planned to spend a little more time there than the two days we’d allowed for.

There’s plenty to do, with the definite highlights for me being our whale-watching trip, when we got incredibly close to this awesome grey whale, and a scenic flight in a float plane.

A laid-back town

It’s also a pleasant place to simply stroll around, with several interesting shops and art galleries.

For the evening there’s a good choice of restaurants to suit all budgets, but the high-end ones are particularly good and worth splashing out on (and for visitors from the UK like ourselves, represent excellent value).

Pacific Rim National Park

And just outside Tofino itself you’ll find the beautiful coastal scenery of the Pacific Rim National Park, with fantastic beaches, and walking and hiking trails to suit everyone.

In fact, unless you're looking for bright lights and a frenetic night life, Tofino could be just the place to charm you ...

... just as it did us!

• In a nutshell:The closest I've ever been to a whale - unforgettable!
  • Last visit to Tofino: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Wonderful tips as always, Sarah - as you can see, the reserach is progressing!
    Regards
    Cathy

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Sarah, I'm glad to see that you and Chris enjoyed your whale watching experience as well as the overall atmosphere of Tofino itself! My wife and I had the same impression several years ago while in this scenic little spot and also had great weather, just as you seem to have been blessed with.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2010 at 1:43 AM

Sounds like you had a whale of a time in Tofino . . . Sorry I couldn't come to the Krakow meeting, but I'm looking forward to your future page about it.

• Feb 18, 2009 at 11:38 PM

it looks like i might have to get myself to this side of canada! lovely photos as always! definitely a special experience to see the whales!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Interesting little page about this gem of British Columbia, which is still on my must visit list. I like your photo of the big black bear. :-)

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 3:21 AM

Excellent photos and very good tips. Maybe it is time we took a trip to Canada.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2007 at 12:01 PM

thinking of your bear warning - do bears #### in the woods ? No just those who see them !

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2007 at 5:18 PM

I loved this area though I must say I didn't have quite the sunny blue skies weather you seemed to get! Mine was more the rain forest gray. lol Great shots of the whales from above.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2007 at 2:45 AM

Magic again, Sarah :-)) You were really lucky with the whales, I like your travellogues very much ! Tofino must be nice, and the prospect of doing some kayaking there is marvellous :-)) Maybe one day :-) With Nobby to help out with the bears :-)

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2007 at 1:43 PM

Awesome whale sightings especially... one of my fav animals! Thanks for a super page Sarah :)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Tofino