"Getting close to nature" Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Island by toonsarah
Vancouver Island Travel Guide: 271 reviews and 869 photos
The whales were definitely among the highlights of our trip. We were lucky enough to get a good look at Orcas (killer whales) in the Johnstone Strait off the northern end of the island, and got really close to grey whales near Tofino. We also enjoyed exploring the Pacific Rim National Park, the historic and very photogenic village of Telegraph Cove and the beaches of Quadra Island. And in addition to the whales, we were lucky enough to see two bears and two bald eagles!
We combined our week here with one on the mainland of British Columbia, and the two together made for a great holiday experience as we were able to enjoy the awe-inspiring peaks of the Rockies as well as this wonderful coastline.
My tips describe the various things we did in a number of locations on the island, so I’ve used the General tips section to describe those locations which we particularly enjoyed, and the “Things to do” section to cover the different things we did in those places – I hope that makes sense!
We were here back in July 2002 and I’m writing this in early 2007, so I should warn you that some things will have changed. However I’ve checked through the internet that all the things I’m recommending are still there, and the prices I quote are the up-to-date ones based on that research. But if anyone has been more recently and spots any mistakes, I’d be glad to hear from you and to make the corrections.
- Pros:Relatively unspoiled, great scenery and awesome whale-watching
- Cons:Not many :) though we had a few rainy days
The best way to get around Vancouver Island is by car. We'd rented in Vancouver itself and came over with it on the... more travel advice
One of the things we often choose to bring back as a souvenir of a trip is a print or painting. These are easy and... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Vancouver Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Getting close to nature"
- "THE MANY FACES OF VANCOUVER ISLAND"
- "Vancouver Island"
- "Vancouver Island, BC, Canada...the most beautiful"
- "Beautiful Vancouver Island"
- "Beautiful beyond words - despite the weather!"
- "The Most Relaxing Place on Earth!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vancouver Island
- Hotels in Vancouver Island
- Transportation in Vancouver Island
- Nightlife in Vancouver Island
- Restaurants in Vancouver Island
- Shopping in Vancouver Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Vancouver Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vancouver Island
- 26 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (160)
Have you been to Vancouver Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vancouver Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: I don't like to say I told..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Vancouver Island travel pages
- updated a Vancouver Island Travel Page "Getting close to nature"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pacific Rim National Park Reserve – Long Beach"
- Wrote a Review Hire a car in Vancouver Island Transportation
Photos in Vancouver IslandSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 724 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 130 reviews, 332 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos