"Getting close to nature" Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Island by toonsarah

Vancouver Island Travel Guide: 230 reviews and 697 photos

Telegraph Cove

For anyone who appreciates beautiful scenery or likes to get close to nature this is a must-see destination. There are some amazing beaches, many of them unspoiled and relatively deserted; pretty coastal towns such as Tofino with its interesting galleries and excellent restaurants; and best of all, in my opinion, a wonderful opportunity to get close to one of the most magnificent of animals, the whale.

Whales!

The whales were definitely among the highlights of our trip. We were lucky enough to get a good look at Orcas (killer whales) in the Johnstone Strait off the northern end of the island, and got really close to grey whales near Tofino. We also enjoyed exploring the Pacific Rim National Park, the historic and very photogenic village of Telegraph Cove and the beaches of Quadra Island. And in addition to the whales, we were lucky enough to see two bears and two bald eagles!

We combined our week here with one on the mainland of British Columbia, and the two together made for a great holiday experience as we were able to enjoy the awe-inspiring peaks of the Rockies as well as this wonderful coastline.

My tips describe the various things we did in a number of locations on the island, so I’ve used the General tips section to describe those locations which we particularly enjoyed, and the “Things to do” section to cover the different things we did in those places – I hope that makes sense!

We were here back in July 2002 and I’m writing this in early 2007, so I should warn you that some things will have changed. However I’ve checked through the internet that all the things I’m recommending are still there, and the prices I quote are the up-to-date ones based on that research. But if anyone has been more recently and spots any mistakes, I’d be glad to hear from you and to make the corrections.

• Pros:Relatively unspoiled, great scenery and awesome whale-watching
  • Cons:Not many :) though we had a few rainy days
  • Last visit to Vancouver Island: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM

One day I do hope to spend more time up there, though currently concentrating on the San Juan Islands south and east of there. Glad you enjoyed your visit to our part of the world!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Jul 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Thanks Glenn, We loved Vancouver Island! And indeed all of BC :-)

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Hi Sarah
    We are hoping to do a flying visit to Canada in a couple of months, and so I was idly researching some of the options.
    Lovely page which just convinces me that this would be great if we have the time. And I just CANNOT live without bear bells!!! Imagine what a cool addition they would make to our travel-themed Christmas tree!!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Regards
    Cathy

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2012 at 4:30 AM

An excellent account and photos of your trip to beautiful BC that brought back fond memories of our time on Vancouver Island. It looks like you had some very enjoyable meals and places to stay! I actually remember the Ripple Rock explosion!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Hi Sarah, I enjoyed reading your tips about this attractive destination. I've been to the city of Vancouver (my brother lives there) but never to the island, which sounds really interesting.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 2:41 AM

This sounds like a great place for nature lovers. I never tire of watching whales and birds. Your restaurant and hotel tips are good also.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2007 at 6:56 AM

I've been promising myself a trip here for about 3 years now! Hopefully I'll fit it in somewhere in the next decade! LOL!! Gillybob greetings

• Jul 16, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Excellent tips Sarah! Would love to go there

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2007 at 6:44 AM

nice tips!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2007 at 11:49 AM

That whale watching sounds and looks amazing!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2007 at 2:26 AM

Oh wow - whale watching and marvellous food :-) I just love mussels, so I might never starve there ! Very much impressing whale photos you've got here, it must have been a really remarkable trip :-)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Vancouver Island

Have you been to Vancouver Island?

Photos in Vancouver Island