Yellowstone National Park Hotel Tips by toonsarah
Yellowstone National Park Hotels: 4,472 reviews and 168 photos
Lake Yellowstone Hotel from the lake
We spent two nights in a Frontier Cabin at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel, and although the cabin’s specification was the same as the one at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge, this was in every way a better experience! OK it did cost a little more ($112 rather than $92) but it was really worth it. For one thing, the cabin was nicer – larger and with four windows making it feel really light and airy. [Actually, to be honest the cabin we checked into did have one fault – the carpet was still very wet from a recent wash. But the staff on the reception desk were very helpful and managed to find us an alternative one despite the fact that they were obviously very busy and had lots of guests to accommodate.]
The hotel itself, where we ate, drank and relaxed on both evenings, is really lovely – an elegant colonial style building very unlike the usual “national park rustic” style you find elsewhere. There’s a large conservatory-type lounge with beautiful views of the lake, where you can get great cocktails (try the ruby red cosmopolitan!) and enjoy live piano music before and after dinner, or get a breakfast coffee and pastry if you don’t want the full works. And the dining room again is very light and manages to feel quite peaceful and stylish despite the large size and considerable numbers being served. We also enjoyed the food here more than at Old Faithful – see my dining tip for details.
Unique Qualities: Lots to recommend this place, if you don't mind paying a little extra - the views of the lake (though not from the cabins), the elegant atmosphere, the fine dining! And I guess if you really wanted to splash out it would be a great experience to stay in one of the hotel rooms themselves but that would cost you around $200 a night.
Comparison: about average
Directions: On the western shore of the lake a few miles south of Fishing Bridge
Frontier Cabin, Snow Lodge
We spent our first night in Yellowstone in this cabin at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge. The facilities were fine, if fairly basic. The cabin was right at the edge of the huge Old Faithful complex, which meant a bit of a walk when we wanted to go out for dinner (at the Old Faithful Inn) but had the bonus that it was very quiet. Our window looked out to the surrounding pine woods so it was easy to feel comfortably detached from the tourist melee of the complex.
Ours was a Frontier Cabin, described as "Duplex motel-style unit, simple but comfortable with a bathroom with shower, toilet and sink" - which is fair enough.
The lodge itself has an attractive modern design. There’s a restaurant (we didn’t dine there but had a good breakfast the next morning though service was a little slow), and a small but comfortable bar with good cocktails. All in all it’s a bit more peaceful than the more famous Old Faithful Inn and I felt better value for money, though not a patch on the Lake Hotel where we stayed for the remaining two night of our visit.
Comparison: less expensive than average
More Reviews (27)
toonsarah's Related Pages
Yellowstone National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yellowstone National Park, My Neighbor"
- "Incredible Yellowstone National Park"
- "Yellowstone National Park was fantastic"
- "Yellowstone National Park"
- "Yellowstone: Hot springs and shifting landscapes"
- "Yellowstone!.... a dream come true!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yellowstone National Park
- Hotels in Yellowstone National Park
- Transportation in Yellowstone National Park
- Nightlife in Yellowstone National Park
- Restaurants in Yellowstone National Park
- Shopping in Yellowstone National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Yellowstone National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hilton Suites Detroit Metro Airport
- Hyatt Regency Monterey
- Executive Suites
- Laguna Park 1
- Principe Hotel Venice
- Marriott Marble Arch London
- Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel
- PV-Holidays Residence Pierre & Vacances L'Ange Gardien
- Coron Village Lodge
- Mammoth Mountain Inn
- Golden Beach Hotel
- Balmoral Inn
- Hotel Goutham Manor
- AKA White House
Badges & Stats in Yellowstone National Park
- 29 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Yellowstone National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yellowstone National Park
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Indian restaurant"
- updated a Yellowstone National Park Travel Page "Yellowstone: Hot springs and shifting landscapes"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Yellowstone: Hot springs and shifting landscapes"
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Yellowstone National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review South Rim about Grand Canyon in Yellowstone National Park Things to Do
Photos in Yellowstone National ParkSee All Photos (46)
Read real reviews about Yellowstone National Park Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 172 reviews, 476 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 98 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos
- Krakow Intro, 34 reviews, 140 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (158)
Latest Yellowstone National Park hotel reviews
- Grant Village Lodge
- 302 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 16, 2013
- Fishing Bridge RV Park
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 20, 2013
- Madison Campground
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 1, 2013
- Dunraven Lodge
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 25, 2013
- Canyon Village Campground
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 13, 2013
- Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel & Cabins
- 910 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Grant Village Campground
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Canyon Lodge and Cabins
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 2, 2013
- Lake Lodge Cabins
- 285 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Lake Yellowstone Hotel
- 665 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Old Faithful Inn Hotel
- 883 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Cascade Lodge
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 10, 2013
- Bridge Bay Campground
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 26, 2013
- Old Faithful Lodge Cabins
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Norris Campground
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2012
- Geysers/hot springs- 171 Reviews, 392 Photos
- Old Faithful- 48 Reviews, 94 Photos
- Mammoth Hot Springs- 62 Reviews, 120 Photos
- Grand Canyon- 60 Reviews, 109 Photos
- Morning Glory Pool- 9 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Wildlife- 67 Reviews, 146 Photos
- Waterfalls- 44 Reviews, 105 Photos
- Hayden Valley- 11 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Tower Falls- 14 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Yellowstone Lake- 13 Reviews, 29 Photos