"Yellowstone: Hot springs and shifting landscapes" Yellowstone National Park by toonsarah

Yellowstone National Park Travel Guide: 1,098 reviews and 3,442 photos

Colours of Yellowstone

There are so many great pages and tips devoted to Yellowstone on VT that it seems somewhat unnecessary to add my own to their number. But these pages are also a personal record of our trip to Wyoming and as such would be incomplete without it. And who knows – I may just have seen, photographed or thought something about this amazing place that others did not!

We spent just three days here - long enough to get a good impression, cover both loop roads and see nearly all of the main features. Not long enough though for everything, by some way! If you want to do any major hikes, wait patiently by the less predictable geysers for signs of activity, follow every side road and participate in the numerous ranger-led talks and walks you will need far longer. On the other hand if your time is limited you could see Old Faithful and a few other highlights in a day ...

... it's your choice!

My personal highlights from a long list were:

- the sense of a planet in constant motion, forever reinventing itself for my pleasure
- Fountain Geyser erupting all over me!
- the amazing colours of some of the pools and springs
- my first bison, wandering across a path in front of me on Geyser Hill near Old Faithful
- spotting a young grizzly by the side of the road
- Yellowstone Lake in the early morning
- the wolves at the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center

So whether your interest is in geology or wildlife or simply great scenery, there is something for you here.

And similarly, there are great places to stay to suit most budgets. We splashed out for a couple of nights at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel, and loved it, and also had a night at the more modest Old Faithful Snow Lodge, but you can also camp in a number of places around the park.

• Pros:So much to see ...
  • Cons:... so little time
  • In a nutshell:Should be one of the must-see experiences on any traveller's list
  • Last visit to Yellowstone National Park: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Wonderful colors of Yellowstone National Park indeed. Would love to tour some of America's great backyards someday. As always, appreciate the helpful tips and mouthwatering food reviews.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2009 at 1:51 AM

Love that intro shot, Sarah. Came in search of the facts while doing my page and knew right where to come. Sorry to hear you were thwarted on the Uncle Tom's trail, it was one of our favorites. Great organization for what can be a confusing park for many.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Wow!...Picture book pix here!! Fantastic page Sarah :o) Jewel guiser looks cute :o) & what a pretty colour Crackling Lake is! Enjoyed the read. Hugs Ann :o)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 11:08 PM

I couldn't complete your Wyoming without travelling through your Yellowstone again :-)) I love the canyons, maybe even more than the geysirs and oh my, your orange car is really photogenic :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2009 at 8:45 AM

I've never been to Yellowstone, but from your tips it sounds fascinating though very car-oriented. -- Thanks for your nice holiday wishes. I'm afraid I can't come to the VT meeting in Portugal because of teaching commitments here in Frankfurt.

• Oct 23, 2008 at 3:14 PM

I love national parks!

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2008 at 3:22 AM

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences..photos and info with me ..will certainly come in handy with my upcoming trip to the US...cheers ..Denny

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2008 at 7:17 AM

A great page with very helpful information. We are thinking of going in late Sept, like you did. Thanks for the packing tips.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2008 at 5:10 AM

great page, don't know i missed it before

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2007 at 12:46 AM

Hi Sarah, this is still a place on my wish list - if i do get there i will have to take copies of your tips - thanks for the effort and informative tips.

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Yellowstone National Park

Have you been to Yellowstone National Park?