"On the Oregon Trail" Torrington by toonsarah
Torrington Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 20 photos
And why go here? Well, it has a great location at the heart of one of the most historic parts of Wyoming. The Oregon Trail passed near here and just down the road at Guernsey you can stand in the ruts made by the pioneers’ wagons rolling past, and see where they carved their names and home towns in the soft rock.
Also nearby is Register Cliff, where pioneers travelling west on the Oregon Trail would regularly stop and would carve their name and town of origin and are a moving and inspiring sight.
Fort Laramie too is just a short drive away, and has been restored to give a picture of life at this frontier outpost when the Trail was at its busiest. This whole area is definitely a great destination for history buffs.
- Pros:Friendly and surrounded by history
- Cons:Not the prettiest town in WY
Fort Laramie was established as a private fur trading fort in 1834 and became a significant stopping place for those... more travel advice
To the west of Torrington and just south of the small town of Guernsey is quite an amazing sight. Pioneers travelling... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Torrington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On the Oregon Trail"
- "Basaic Torrington Page"
- "Getting To Know My New Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Torrington
- Hotels in Torrington
- Nightlife in Torrington
- Restaurants in Torrington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Torrington
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Torrington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Torrington
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 127 reviews, 321 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos