"Where the Sundance Kid got his name" Sundance by toonsarah

Sundance Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 16 photos

Chris and the Kid

This is the place where the Sundance Kid got his name! Not because he came from here, as I’d assumed, but because in the early days of his infamous career he spent time in jail here – and you can still see the jailhouse.

Nowadays this is a pleasant little town in a great location. It's probably not somewhere you'd want to make a long stay but it's a good overnight stop en route between more famous destinations such the Devil’s Tower and the Black Hills country.

There are a number of motels, a couple of bars and restaurants and all the necessary amenities to keep you going on your trip such as shops, gas stations and banks. We got a very friendly welcome and were pleased we'd paused here on our driving trip around Wyoming.

• In a nutshell:A small town welcome
  • Last visit to Sundance: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Thats a cool little statue of the sundance kid.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2010 at 4:59 AM

Nice tips and photos! Actually the only reason I had ever even heard of Sundance up to now was that an interesting independent film festival is held there every year.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Very cool shot of the Tower & Flag, Sarah. Looks like we have more to go back and explore in Wyoming. Like that old general store too. Not complaining. As you noticed, the locals are a friendly lot out west.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Sarah, I'm still enjoying travelling around Wyoming with you & Chris! The Devil's Tower sounds impressive - I briefly contemplated it 1-year ago while we were doing Mt. Rushmore but no time :( Aladdin and its store sound interesting too!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Lovely little village! Of course I also love the photo of Chris with his brone buddy and I also smiled about the boots, this looks like a Wyoming variant of the cow parade :-)

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2008 at 10:58 AM

Love the photo of Chris and his new mate!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2007 at 9:18 AM

Some interesting features in this "quaint"place!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2006 at 4:57 PM

Entertaining page about Sundance. I'm sure Robert would approve.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2006 at 12:16 PM

Sundance toon looks lovely and relaxing, such interesting info... and goodness me, those boots! haha

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2006 at 7:44 AM

thats funny:)Robert Redford shot a movie in Utah about Sundance kid, bought a village and named it Sundance..i didnt know there is Sundance in Wyoming!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Sundance

Have you been to Sundance?

Latest Activity in Sundance