"A friendly university town with a nice vibe" Top 5 Page for this destination Laramie by toonsarah

Laramie Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 118 photos

Statue of Chief Washakie

Laramie was our first stopping point on our driving tour of Wyoming . Perhaps because it was a holiday weekend (the Saturday before Labor Day), it seemed a pretty sleepy place for a university town, but we rather liked it.

There's a small historic downtown area of just a few blocks. Beyond that are quiet residential streets, and beyond those the university campus.

The railroad tracks edge the downtown area to the west, and on the other side is the Wyoming Territorial Prison which is well worth a visit (one of its most famous inmates was Butch Cassidy)

The town may be small but there's a good selection of restaurants, bars and cafes (although many were closed on the Sunday) and places to stay too.

Most of the motels seemed to be on the outskirts so we were pleased with our choice of a downtown B&B, the Mad Carpenter (silly name but a comfortable home from home environment).

As a bonus, Laramie is surrounded by beautiful scenery, for example in the Snowy Range Mountains.

• Pros:Friendly; good place for a stopover
  • Last visit to Laramie: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Chief Washakie state is fabulous Sarah and I would love to explore that old prison. I love places like Centennial! I need to visit Laramie! Fantastic page!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2010 at 10:44 AM

hi sarah, love the page. regards. sb

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2009 at 2:43 AM

Andouille scramble & microbrews from Altitude sounds like a winning combination. Oops, you weren't drinking at breakfast. That's me in Dusselfdorf. ;) Love these small town WY page, Sarah. We are missing this great state very much right now.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2009 at 5:18 AM

Magnificent photographs, Sarah! This is an area in the USA that we have not visited so it was a real treat for me to vicariously experience your delightful adventures.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 6:29 AM

It appears there are lots of interesting things to see and do in this part of Wyoming! Those Vedauwoo rocks look amazing and I like your idea of just meandering around finding these OTBP locations!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 9:53 PM

We ride to Laramie, I loved these famous words in the old TV series and yes, I must come here as well! Your photos are gorgeous!!!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Your picture of Lake Bellamy is breathtaking!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2008 at 4:26 AM

Laramie sounds like a very nice little town. The B&B sounds quite nice, amazing boulders, light traffic, wow

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Loving the Vedauwoo boulders and the lakes

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2007 at 1:01 AM

Brilliant photos. Especially the one of the Bank in Centennial is outstanding. It's great that you got some zucchini cake for take away from your B&B hosts. Have a lovely weekend.

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Laramie

Have you been to Laramie?

Latest Activity in Laramie