Lander Things to Do Tips by toonsarah
Lander Things to Do: 5 reviews and 8 photos
View from our picnic table, Split Rock
For much of route 287 to the south east of Lander the scenery lacks the drama of the north west stretch, and in places is even a bit dull, but if you're heading this way you can find a great picnic spot at Split Rock, between Jeffrey City and Muddy Gap.
Split Rock is a large pink butte which formed a prominent landmark for travellers on the Oregon Trail as it could be seen for a full day's journey from the east, and for two days behind as they continued westward. Split Rock was also a station on the famous Pony Express route.
Nowadays it's a peaceful spot, with picnic tables tucked under the trees, well away from the highway. There are beautiful views, and when you've eated you can scramble about on the rock or read about the history of the area on the interpretive signs provided. There's plenty of space to park and rest rooms too.
Directions: North side of route 287 between Jeffrey City and Muddy Gap
Route through the badlands
The scenery around Lander is quite varied and in places dramatic. If you drive north through the Wind River Reservation and beyond towards Dubois on route 287 you'll pass Crowheart Butte, a striking flat topped outcrop. There's a local legend that the Shoshone and Crow chiefs fought a battle on the top of the butte, which Chief Washakie of the Shoshone won - celebrating his victory by eating the Crow chief's heart!
Further along the same route you come to these stunning red badlands. There's a good pullout (right side of the road if you're travelling away from Lander) and it would be hard not to get some good photos here.
Directions: Route 287 between Lander & Dubois
More Reviews (3)
toonsarah's Related Pages
Lander Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "john-coleman's new Lander Page"
- "Lander, Wyoming"
- "Lander Wyoming"
- "Miles from anywhere, unless you live here."
- "Basaic Lander Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lander
- Hotels in Lander
- Transportation in Lander
- Nightlife in Lander
- Restaurants in Lander
- See All...
Explore the World
- Le Bourget Hotels
- Kinneret Hotels
- Malden Hotels
- Isola Palmarola Hotels
Badges & Stats in Lander
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Lander?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lander
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 172 reviews, 476 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 98 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos
- Krakow Intro, 34 reviews, 140 photos, 8 travelogues