"Lander" Lander by toonsarah

Lander Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 23 photos

Entrance to Pronghorn Motel

As with Laramie, we'd chosen Lander as a place to stay mainly because of its location, conveniently on our route to the Grand Teton National Park.

It turned out to be a good choice, with a comfortable motel, friendly restaurant and a bar with excellent beer - but not a whole lot else!

Actually I may be being a little unfair - it was Memorial Day and the town was half-asleep (couldn't even get a coffee) but I'm sure we'd have found it a bit more lively on another occasion. And it would make a good base from which to explore the surrounding area, including the Wind River Reservation and some great scenery to the north-west, South Pass City to the south, and Split Rock and Muddy Gap to the east.

• Last visit to Lander: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Any town with Snake River beers on tap is my kinda place for Memorial Day weekend. Looks like you made the best of it. Love the intro shot.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 6:14 AM

A great little page on Lander and the surrounding area! I too sometimes like to experience small country towns like this, where you can slow the pace of life a bit!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 9:45 PM

This landscape is stunning! Yes, I must go to Wyoming one day :-))

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2008 at 10:41 AM

That intro photo just looks like a paper cut by scissors (Scherenschnitt in German). I like looking at rock formations.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Wow - those red badlands are gorgeous!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2006 at 4:31 PM

Cowfish Grill??? What a name! The Gannett Grill sounds more like it and the grub sounds good there too. I don't think we have ever left an American restaurant still hungry - there's always plenty of food on your plate.

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Lander