"A special place" Top 5 Page for this destination Devils Tower by toonsarah

Devils Tower Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 258 photos

Driving to the Tower

This is possibly the most recognisable sight in Wyoming, even more so than Old Faithful.

Friends who’ve seen these photos inevitably start to hum that distinctive tune from Close Encounters of the Third Kind, even if they’d never heard of the Devil’s Tower by name. But this is a must-see on a tour of the state, regardless of whether or not you have any interest in the film.

Some surprises

I was surprised by several things here. Firstly its size – numerous pictures (and that film!) should have prepared me for this, but somehow I hadn’t imagined it as quite this large – on the trail round the base there are places where it really seems to loom over you.

Secondly, the atmosphere which, when you can escape the crowds, is quite haunting, especially where the local Native Americans have tied prayer ribbons to the trees.

And lastly, and less positively, the large numbers of people and the over-commercialised appearance of the approaches to the park.

Magic

But don’t let that put you off visiting. This really is a magical place - just don’t expect to see aliens here!

• Pros:A special atmosphere, if you can get away from the crowds
  • Cons:Crowded and over-commercialised in places
  • In a nutshell:Don't make the mistake of thinking you can see it from the parking lot
  • Last visit to Devils Tower: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2010 at 5:09 AM

Good that it is possible to get away from the crowds just by walking a short ways from the parking lot. Great view from the picnic area! (When I was a child there was a Prairie Dog film that I really liked. The Vanishing Prairie?)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Fantastic little page here. These prairie dogs seem to be quite funny creatures. :o)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 4:33 AM

Unfortunately did not get D there last year but I went my first time out and it was quite an amazing sight, and surprising as you say. It is obvious Native Americans held it in sacred awe. A good reason to return. :)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 9:18 PM

I love the Crow legend how the mountain was formed! Oh yes, I also want to see it, I remember the movie clearly. Ah, and these so cute prairie dogs :-))

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2008 at 9:14 AM

I wanted to visit Devils Tower on my recent drive to the Mount Rushmore area - but time was just too short. Your page is so good that I'm glad I did not read it earlier, causing me further temptation!!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Devils Tower will certainly be a must see if I make it to Wyoming!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Great photos and very well written tips on an awesome place. They should have named it God's Tower. Didn't the Indians say it was sacred?

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2007 at 11:57 PM

The name of this place caught my eye. Very interesting!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2007 at 3:51 AM

Wonderful photos Sarah! Great tip about taking a picnic here, I might do that myself as well :-) Thanks!

• filipdebont's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2007 at 6:09 AM

I also added Devils tower to my road trip planning

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Devils Tower

Have you been to Devils Tower?

Latest Activity in Devils Tower