"A great western town" Top 5 Page for this destination Cody by toonsarah

Cody Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 313 photos

Old Trail Town, Cody

Cody is a great little town, very friendly and welcoming, with several really interesting tourist sights, a lovely old-fashioned hotel, good shopping, restaurants and bars.

Our visit here was certainly one of the highlights of our Wyoming road trip. After a few days in the national parks we felt we were ready for something a little more urban and lively, and Cody was just what we were looking for.

The main sights are the Buffalo Bill Historical Center (which is really five museums in one) and Old Trail Town on the western outskirts of town. Both of these are excellent and will give you a real sense of the Old West, as will the old Irma Hotel in the center of town, which is worth a visit even if you don't plan to stay there.

Outside the town

I’ve also included some tips here covering the area between Cody and Yellowstone National Park. The Shoshone River runs through a spectacular valley, and if you prefer to stay somewhere quieter you could easily use one of the lodges here as a base for visiting Cody

• In a nutshell:Lively (but not too much so), friendly and full of the spirit of the West!
  • Last visit to Cody: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM

For the short amount of time you spent in Cody, you put together a very nice page on our town.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Jan 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Thank you so much - and thanks for your earlier help in planning this trip :-)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2010 at 4:01 AM

This whole experience sounds so great. You've done such a wonderful job presenting the information. Love the photo [tub in the bathroom of the hotel]..still smiling. Such a pleasure to read your pages.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Looking very comfortable on that horse for an inexperienced rider, Sarah. Too bad about that Flat Tire and sub-par Mex. This page shows me our six month trip could have been six years. Love these wild west towns.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Oh, I must come here, I love the Old Trail Town, especially the cute General Store :-) And Shoshone Lodge is just about what I like, including riding :-) Holy City looks marvellous!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2008 at 5:49 AM

excellent page - another addition to yr excellent travels - ive always been a bit of a westerns fan so Cody is a place I would have to visit one day if Im driving at least a few states nearby!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2008 at 4:48 AM

yeee harrr cowboy !

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2008 at 5:07 AM

Cody seems to be a fun place to visit. You bought a very nice necklace, rode horses, saw a museum, ate Mexican food. Somehow that sounds out of place.LOL

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2008 at 1:31 PM

"Holy City" on the Shoshone River looks stunning!

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Wonderful page with well written and informative tips. I love your necklace.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2007 at 3:39 AM

Great page Sarah! I am planning a trip for this summer to the area and wasn't sure if Cody would be too touristy. But it looks great! I love the idea of going riding as well. Thanks for all the tips and beautiful photos. I can hardly wait to go here! :-)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Cody