"State capital or small town?" Top 5 Page for this destination Cheyenne by toonsarah

Cheyenne Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 141 photos

State Capitol building

Cheyenne is the state capital of Wyoming and after two weeks on the road and visits to areas of the state that are among the least populated in the country, it seemed busy and bustling. On the other hand, no one could call it a metropolis, and compared to my home in London it felt like a relaxed and relaxing small town. All this goes to show that everything is relative!

However you view its size, we liked Cheyenne a lot. We were there on a Saturday when a farmers’ market was in full sway in front of the attractive Union Pacific Depot building. The shops were interesting and a bit quirky, the state museum had a lot to offer and we found a great place to stay in the Plains Hotel. The only downside was the really strong (and cold) wind that blew the whole day and made the outdoor attractions such as the market a lot less enjoyable than they would otherwise have been.

There’s plenty of history to Cheyenne. It was founded on July 4th 1867 by men working on the Union Pacific Railroad, and the railroad’s depot still dominates the town centre. The majority of these settlers though soon moved away but others came, and by 1869 Cheyenne was home to railroad gangs, soldiers and traders.

... and history

The population was pretty rough and Cheyenne at that time would have embodied the classic Wild West town, as in places it still does a little. But it would have quite quickly become more civilised and even quite sophisticated, due to the railroad which provided easy access to the East, and thus to the latest trends in fashion and homes. This too is apparent today in the styles of some of the buildings, such as the house on East 17th Street which is home to a fantastic little gallery (see my shopping tip).

Add the more modern buildings, and the rather fun “Big Boots” street art (as seen in Sundance previously, but bigger as befits the state capital!) and I found downtown Cheyenne attractive and liveable – a place that felt comfortable in its own skin.

• In a nutshell:A great little town
  • Last visit to Cheyenne: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2011 at 9:48 AM

If I can get up that way again, this is a place for me to visit. YOu did a very good of the town.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Cheyenne is on my "To Do" list. Thanks for the intro.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2010 at 3:49 AM

Sarah, the size of Cheyenne, the unique shops, the marvelous hotel, and the Union Pacific Depot seem just perfect for the kind of place we love to explore. Well done tips as I know will be the case on your pages.

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Looks like a great place. We are considering a visit in late Sept 2010

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Sarah, I was glad to see that you enjoyed your beer after a hard day of touring - just the right thing to do in a once wild-west town! Interesting info on Esther Morris. Great tips and photos as always - and Happy Birthday too!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Big mistake not reading this before I went out west. If I'd known Snake River was in Union Pacific Depot I might have made it there. We loved S. River in Jackson so much but this was a bit out of the way.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Wow, this hotel looks marvellous! Stained glass ceiling... this reminds me of Tortoni's ceiling in Buenos Aires. Ah, now I know where you found the aspen photo print :-)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2009 at 11:45 AM

was the coal mining museum section in the basement or below it ?

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2008 at 5:29 AM

Enjoyed the virtual visit to another interesting spot - Im well overdue a return visit to see more of the USA myself.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2008 at 5:13 AM

A very nice virtual tour of Cheyenne. Very pretty capitol building, great accommodations, good burgers, a pretty print of the aspens, and a nice museum. You did it all. Very nice photos also.

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Cheyenne

Have you been to Cheyenne?

Latest Activity in Cheyenne