"State capital or small town?" Top 5 Page for this destination Cheyenne by toonsarah
Cheyenne Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 141 photos
However you view its size, we liked Cheyenne a lot. We were there on a Saturday when a farmers’ market was in full sway in front of the attractive Union Pacific Depot building. The shops were interesting and a bit quirky, the state museum had a lot to offer and we found a great place to stay in the Plains Hotel. The only downside was the really strong (and cold) wind that blew the whole day and made the outdoor attractions such as the market a lot less enjoyable than they would otherwise have been.
There’s plenty of history to Cheyenne. It was founded on July 4th 1867 by men working on the Union Pacific Railroad, and the railroad’s depot still dominates the town centre. The majority of these settlers though soon moved away but others came, and by 1869 Cheyenne was home to railroad gangs, soldiers and traders.
The population was pretty rough and Cheyenne at that time would have embodied the classic Wild West town, as in places it still does a little. But it would have quite quickly become more civilised and even quite sophisticated, due to the railroad which provided easy access to the East, and thus to the latest trends in fashion and homes. This too is apparent today in the styles of some of the buildings, such as the house on East 17th Street which is home to a fantastic little gallery (see my shopping tip).
Add the more modern buildings, and the rather fun “Big Boots” street art (as seen in Sundance previously, but bigger as befits the state capital!) and I found downtown Cheyenne attractive and liveable – a place that felt comfortable in its own skin.
- In a nutshell:A great little town
We were in Cheyenne on a Saturday morning and enjoyed visiting the farmers’ market in Depot Plaza, in front of the... more travel advice
This coffee shop is in the lobby of the Plains Hotel, but also opens on to the street. It’s friendly and welcoming,... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Cheyenne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "State capital or small town?"
- "Frontier Days"
- "Frontier Capital City"
- "CHEYENNE, WYOMING"
- "Cheyenne - a part of American history"
- "Cheyenne, Wyoming"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cheyenne
- Hotels in Cheyenne
- Transportation in Cheyenne
- Nightlife in Cheyenne
- Restaurants in Cheyenne
- Shopping in Cheyenne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cheyenne
- 10 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Cheyenne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cheyenne
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 127 reviews, 321 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos