"Faces in the rock" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Rushmore National Memorial by toonsarah
Mount Rushmore National Memorial Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 330 photos
As a non-US citizen I found it interesting to see not only the monument itself but also how much it meant to the US visitors. For me it was simply an impressive undertaking and a memorial to some great figures of the past, whereas to an American it is so evidently symbolic of everything that most moves them about their country.
The figures of the four US Presidents (George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln) are carved from the granite mountain side and dominate the surrounding landscape just as their creator, Gutzon Borglum, must have envisaged them doing. Started in 1927 they took 14 years to complete.
In front of the monument is the Avenue of Flags, 56 flags representing the fifty states, one district, three territories, and two commonwealths of the United States of America.
You shouldn’t visit Mount Rushmore in my view without also making time for a visit to another remarkable undertaking in rock-carving, the work-in-progress that is Crazy Horse, 17 miles to the south west. I think it's a shame that VT doesn't recognise Crazy Horse as a destination in its own right, but never mind - I've included some tips on it here in the Off the Beaten Path" section".
- Pros:An awe-inspiring undertaking
- Cons:Rather crowded and car-parking is expensive
- In a nutshell:Whatever you do, don't miss seeing Crazy Horse too!
The Indian Museum of North America at Crazy Horse is also worth devoting some time to. It has a comprehensive... more travel advice
It really would be a shame, I think, to be in this area and not visit Crazy Horse too. We heard different views on the... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Mount Rushmore National Memorial Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Truly a spectacular Memorial"
- "Faces in the rock"
- "Mount Rushmore National Monument"
- "Unfinished Icon of the Founding Fathers"
- "A League of Their Own"
- "Look up the President's Nostrils"
- "They Paved Paradise & Put up a Parking Lot"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Hotels in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Transportation in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Restaurants in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Shopping in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Mount Rushmore National Memorial?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: 3 weeks itinerary help please!"
- updated a Mount Rushmore National Memorial Travel Page "Faces in the rock"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Faces in the rock"
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's Mount Rushmore National Memorial travel pages
- Wrote a Review Crazy Horse - the museum in Mount Rushmore National Memorial Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Mount Rushmore National MemorialSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 191 reviews, 538 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 108 reviews, 250 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos