"Faces in the rock" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Rushmore National Memorial by toonsarah

We visited Mount Rushmore as a side trip on our tour of Wyoming – it’s only a short drive across the state line and it would have been a real shame to miss the opportunity to see such an iconic monument.

As a non-US citizen I found it interesting to see not only the monument itself but also how much it meant to the US visitors. For me it was simply an impressive undertaking and a memorial to some great figures of the past, whereas to an American it is so evidently symbolic of everything that most moves them about their country.

The figures of the four US Presidents (George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln) are carved from the granite mountain side and dominate the surrounding landscape just as their creator, Gutzon Borglum, must have envisaged them doing. Started in 1927 they took 14 years to complete.

In front of the monument is the Avenue of Flags, 56 flags representing the fifty states, one district, three territories, and two commonwealths of the United States of America.

Crazy Horse

You shouldn’t visit Mount Rushmore in my view without also making time for a visit to another remarkable undertaking in rock-carving, the work-in-progress that is Crazy Horse, 17 miles to the south west. I think it's a shame that VT doesn't recognise Crazy Horse as a destination in its own right, but never mind - I've included some tips on it here in the Off the Beaten Path" section".

• Pros:An awe-inspiring undertaking
  • Cons:Rather crowded and car-parking is expensive
  • In a nutshell:Whatever you do, don't miss seeing Crazy Horse too!
  • Last visit to Mount Rushmore National Memorial: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• May 24, 2011 at 12:49 AM

there is a multi-level carpark next to this monument? are you kidding me? i would never have thought it! loved your photos, looked like you had the perfect day!

• maxeha's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2011 at 6:19 AM

Great pix of Mt. Rushmore. Re the Crazy Horse carving: About 2003 BP named a Gulf of Mexico oil platform Crazy Horse but got negative feedback and renamed it Thunder Horse. That was an early indication of worse problems the project was to have.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Your tips are so helpful. Loved the practical information especially. I think that Mount Rushmore National Memorial is unique and inspiring, and your tips make it more so in my mind's eye.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Thanks for your story about the great visit, Sarah! ><><><><

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Imagine being a driller working on the face of Roosevelt! This must be one of the world's most unusual occupations. I think the Crazy Horse monument is a great idea, especially since they allowed those determined beavers to stay.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Even though I was here, this page was more like a real visit. I didn't know about this "parking" fee and found a place to use my zoom and got a fair shot. We were in a rush that day anyway. Thanks for the detailed description of a proper visit!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Excellent info here Sarah, and beautiful photos too!! I liked your Crazy Horse quote - reminded me of Chief Joseph's "I will fight no more forever" after losing his battle with the US Cavalry. Sue & I may be headed down in a couple of days.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2008 at 2:25 PM

A very nice page and virtual tour of Mt. Rushmore. Outstanding photos.

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2008 at 5:34 AM

Thanks for this interesting tour of Mt Rushmore. The gen tips were particularly useful. But I wonder if they'll add Barack Obama should he become US president :))

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2008 at 4:40 AM

i find this idea of agrrandisment a bit close to personality cult - but i guess it is harmless enough. wonder when bush will join the 4 ?

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Mount Rushmore National Memorial

Have you been to Mount Rushmore National Memorial?