""I want to be a part of it ..."" Top 5 Page for this destination New York City by toonsarah
New York City Travel Guide: 15,893 reviews and 31,990 photos
Fortunately, our fears were unfounded. New York was as vibrant, mad and exciting as we had recalled, and we had a wonderful week revisiting some of our favourite spots from the past and discovering new ones.
New York was described to me recently as a “Marmite city” – you either love it or hate it. I can see that this might be the case, but dig beneath the surface and I think it would be hard for any but the most ardent city-phobe to fail to find something to appeal to them in this city of amazing contrasts.
So what are you looking for?
For culture? Here are some of the greatest museums and galleries in the world – the Metropolitan, the Guggenheim, MOMA and many more. Soho is home to many great smaller galleries, and with live music venues, poetry readings, theatre and film there is truly something for every taste.
For history? The city may be relatively young, but its history is powerfully told in places such as Ellis Island and the Lower East Side Tenement Museum – as is its recent past in the gaping hole that is Ground Zero and the deeply moving exhibits at nearby St Paul’s Church.
For great architecture? From the graceful arches of the Brooklyn Bridge and the intricate terracotta tiling on the distinctive Flatiron Building to the latest addition to the city’s skyscrapers, Norman Foster’s Hearst Building – it is all around you.
For nightlife? Broadway is of course the place to see a show, but if that’s not your thing try off-Broadway, Greenwich Village or Chelsea for alternatives. Or do as we did, and explore some of the city’s friendly bars and varied restaurants, with cuisine from all corners of the world.
For open spaces? Central Park is rightly considered one of the best city parks in the world, and you can easily lose yourself there for a day. Or get out on the water with one of the best bargains ever – a free ride on the Staten Island Ferry.
And if you’re looking to meet and interact with local people, in our experience New Yorkers are almost invariably friendly and eager to talk, despite their reputation to the contrary.
So do come with me on a virtual tour of this fantastic city. In a week we can only just scratch the surface, but I hope to be able to convince you that New York is indeed a place where anything is possible.
- Pros:All of the above – and more!
- Cons:OK, it’s noisy and a bit grubby – but in the “city that never sleeps”, what did you expect?
- In a nutshell:So good they named it twice!
It probably goes without saying, but do take care crossing the roads! This is a big city and although traffic doesn't... more travel advice
New York is a city of extremes when it comes to climate. Its summers are hot and sticky, its winters very cold. And... more travel advice
- See All Park for a Day
- World’s largest department store?
- See All CBGBs
- See All Photograph the neon signs
toonsarah's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "Oh, how I want to be a part of it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 77 Reviews
- 225 Photos
- 63 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
- Posted in Travel Heathrow Forum "Re: Is 90 minutes enough time..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's New York City travel pages
- updated a New York City Travel Page ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- Uploaded a Photo to "Dress for all seasons"
- Wrote a Review Crossing the roads about Walking in New York City Warnings and Dangers
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 233 reviews, 724 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 130 reviews, 332 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos