""I want to be a part of it ..."" Top 5 Page for this destination New York City by toonsarah

New York City Travel Guide: 15,853 reviews and 31,852 photos

Manhattan skyline from Liberty Island

Having last visited, and loved, New York City in 1982 (see album below!), we were a little nervous that this repeat visit could prove a disappointment, with the city failing to live up to our remembered affection for it.

Fortunately, our fears were unfounded. New York was as vibrant, mad and exciting as we had recalled, and we had a wonderful week revisiting some of our favourite spots from the past and discovering new ones.

New York was described to me recently as a “Marmite city” – you either love it or hate it. I can see that this might be the case, but dig beneath the surface and I think it would be hard for any but the most ardent city-phobe to fail to find something to appeal to them in this city of amazing contrasts.

So what are you looking for?

For culture? Here are some of the greatest museums and galleries in the world – the Metropolitan, the Guggenheim, MOMA and many more. Soho is home to many great smaller galleries, and with live music venues, poetry readings, theatre and film there is truly something for every taste.

For history? The city may be relatively young, but its history is powerfully told in places such as Ellis Island and the Lower East Side Tenement Museum – as is its recent past in the gaping hole that is Ground Zero and the deeply moving exhibits at nearby St Paul’s Church.

For great architecture? From the graceful arches of the Brooklyn Bridge and the intricate terracotta tiling on the distinctive Flatiron Building to the latest addition to the city’s skyscrapers, Norman Foster’s Hearst Building – it is all around you.

For nightlife? Broadway is of course the place to see a show, but if that’s not your thing try off-Broadway, Greenwich Village or Chelsea for alternatives. Or do as we did, and explore some of the city’s friendly bars and varied restaurants, with cuisine from all corners of the world.

For open spaces? Central Park is rightly considered one of the best city parks in the world, and you can easily lose yourself there for a day. Or get out on the water with one of the best bargains ever – a free ride on the Staten Island Ferry.

And if you’re looking to meet and interact with local people, in our experience New Yorkers are almost invariably friendly and eager to talk, despite their reputation to the contrary.

So do come with me on a virtual tour of this fantastic city. In a week we can only just scratch the surface, but I hope to be able to convince you that New York is indeed a place where anything is possible.

• Pros:All of the above – and more!
  • Cons:OK, it’s noisy and a bit grubby – but in the “city that never sleeps”, what did you expect?
  • In a nutshell:So good they named it twice!
  • Last visit to New York City: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2013 at 3:38 AM

lovely snippets by a well prepared vtraveller - good to have friends too ;-)))

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Jan 13, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Thanks Ken - and of course, VT helps me prepare :-)

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
      Jan 13, 2013 at 5:03 AM

that's me problem being a Saggitarian - impetuous and lazy ;-(

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Excellent travel pages of the city we have been dreaming of visiting ever since we were young. It is definitely high on our list of cities to visit in the near future. New York City certainly has a lot to offer to tourists. Thanks for your virtual tour with great photographs. ~ho & pang

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Hello, Sarah! ~ Thanks for your wonderful story full of useful tips and great photographs!~

• Apr 22, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Is your photo of CBGB a photo taken in the vintage clothing and record store that is housed there now?

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2010 at 6:44 AM

Very helpful transportation tips. Best set of restaurant tips I've read in a long time. OMG, am I hungry now....I had a similar experience with a way too dim restaurant where we could hardly order, let alone see what we were eating...LOL

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2009 at 3:14 PM

You have some great photos of New York City, and a great page to match. Cheers from NYC!

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2009 at 8:16 AM

This one has your usual ''toonsarah trademark'' written all over: useful to do, transpo, hotel tips, and mouthwatering resto tips! But what made my day were the quirky signs! lol

• Jan 4, 2009 at 2:27 PM

And some great looking food too, Sarah!! ;-) I popped into Le Petit Cafe, got the last tiny table by the window, skimmed through the menu and then felt so cramped that had to leave. Groups of people seemed to enjoy themselves though.

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2008 at 8:18 AM

Sarah, your New York tips are so thorough. You taught me so much about a city that I have visited several times. Hopefully your wonderful pages will help me convince my husband to go for a visit. :-)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2008 at 10:06 AM

I think I finally finished! Excellent in depth page, loved all the architecture and neighborhood info :-)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?

Latest Activity in New York City