"A village called Trout" Truchas by toonsarah

Truchas Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 8 photos

Nuestra Senora dei Rosario de Truchas

Truchas is one of a string of little villages along the High Road to Taos, and like the others in notable mainly for its church, dedicated to Nuestra Senora dei Rosario – Our Lady of the Rosary.

The village lies just off the main highway, and was built in a square with an entrance just wide enough for one cart to pass through, for defensive purposes. Today it’s a pretty sleepy place, or so it seemed to us, especially after the relative bustle of nearby Chimayó.

In addition to the church there’s a general store (closed on the Sunday when we visited) and a few art studios – the one nearest the church, Hand Artes, was open although we only browsed the outdoor exhibits.

Robert Redford filmed "The Milagro Beanfield War" here. I have never seen the film but I plan to track down the DVD now that I have visited its location.

And to continue with us on the High Road to Taos, please visit my little Las Trampas page.

• Last visit to Truchas: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I really like the architecture of this Church of Our Lady of the Rosary. A pity that the general store was closed. It looks indeed interesting.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I agree with you about "ferreting" around that type of shop, it's fun!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2012 at 6:06 AM

So trucha means trout in Spanish. That’s good to know. Strange about those piles of animal bones.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I find such general stores very interesting!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2011 at 8:59 AM

This is indeed a strange little town, maybe the real ghost town of New Mexico? It certainly looks "ghostly" with these piles of animal skulls. The little church seems more like a house than a church, but cute!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Hello, Sarah!~ I enjoy discovering such remote places too...

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Truchas

Have you been to Truchas?

Latest Activity in Truchas