"Ancient apartment blocks" Top 5 Page for this destination Taos Pueblo by toonsarah

Taos Pueblo Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 122 photos

The North House (Hlauuma in the native Tiwa)

Taos Pueblo is an incredible place, and a must-see when you are in the area. It’s the only living Native American community to have been designated both a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and a National Historic Landmark.

These multi-storied adobe buildings have been continuously inhabited for over 1000 years and are considered to be the oldest continuously inhabited communities in the USA.

The Pueblo is also home to two very photogenic churches – the now-ruined original San Geronimo and its mid nineteenth century replacement of the same name. Unlike at Acoma, you are free to wander around on your own, although some areas are off-limits to tourists. However, based on our experience I would strongly recommend taking one of the guided tours as an introduction to the pueblo, before going off to explore some more.

Approximately 150 people live here in the Pueblo itself, but as at Acoma, all the buildings are owned by Taos families who may live in more modern homes elsewhere on Pueblo land and return here for festivals and special occasions. Our young guide spoke about the powerful draw that the Pueblo has over its people, and described the sense of almost obligation she feels to spend time here and contribute to the community.

So remember when visiting here that these are people’s homes. Be respectful, follow their rules of etiquette, and you will surely be welcomed.

Please start your tour with my first tip,

+++Visiting the Pueblo+++

And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico please visit the ghost town of Elizabethtown with me.

• In a nutshell:A very special place
  • Last visit to Taos Pueblo: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 10, 2012

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Great detail on the tips for the Pueblo. I plan to see this on trip in September-about one year since you have been here for a cultural variation from England turf. Great tips to guide us.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I really like your photo of the Old Church and Cemetery.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Yes, San Geronimo Church, and the rest of the village too, is very photogenic! Sound like you got a very interesting guided tour around the village.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Lovely place! Especially like the two colour look of the San Geronimo church.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2011 at 7:23 AM

Lovely photos and tips Sarah! I enjoyed it. I need to drive a little farther:) Thanks for sharing such a beautiful place!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Oh wow, what a photogenic lovely village Taos Pueblo is. With each of your pages I am very much tempted to visit New Mexico :-) The white parts of the adobe church are a fantastic contrast yes, but what I love most are these very much colourful doors and window frames in your photos of North House. I also like the idea of dressing the saints according to the season! Mica windows.... interesting :-)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Taos Pueblo

Have you been to Taos Pueblo?

Latest Activity in Taos Pueblo