"The magic of Taos" Top 5 Page for this destination Taos by toonsarah
Taos Travel Guide: 208 reviews and 529 photos
In comparison to its larger neighbour to the south, we found Taos to be more relaxed, less self-conscious, and a little rougher around the edges. There’s a bit of a hippy vibe in the air, with crafts on display in its galleries and at the stall in the Plaza showing something of a New Age sensitivity – scented candles, imaginative modern interpretations of traditional santos, wind-chimes and colourfully flowing clothes. With a rootsy coffee shop at its heart, this is a place in which to sit back, chill, and watch the world go by, rather than rush around ticking off the sights.
Having said that though, there are sights a-plenty. Perhaps the two most well-known and most worth the journey here are those that lie outside the town itself – Taos Plaza to the north, and the church of San Francisco de Asis in Ranchos de Taos to the south. Meanwhile in the town you will find several museums, plenty of galleries and arty shops, an historic plaza – lots to keep you occupied for a few days.
And when the sun goes down ... well, we found the nightlife here more to our taste than in Santa Fe. The larger town may have more great restaurants to choose from, but it was surprisingly hard there to find a bar that appealed to us, whereas in Taos there were two very different ones that each gave us a great night out – the Adobe Bar in the historic Taos Inn, and Eske’s Brew Pub. We don’t travel in search of good bars, but to find two such welcoming spots in one town added to our impressions that Taos was one of the nicest small towns we have visited.
To read my tips in the order I recommend, please start here with our journey to Taos.
And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico please visit nearby Taos Pueblo with me.
- In a nutshell:I defy anyone not to love Taos!
You will almost certainly need a car to get to Taos, unless you are on an organised tour. There are two possible routes... more travel advice
Perhaps surprisingly, it would be easy to drive straight through Taos and miss its Plaza, which is tucked away to the... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Taos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Taos - a beautiful old town"
- "Toas: Is Leaving an Option?"
- "The magic of Taos"
- "Home of my Husband's grand-parents"
- "Taos, New Mexico"
- "Town Set in Nature Scene"
- "Taos, New Mexico"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Taos
- Hotels in Taos
- Transportation in Taos
- Nightlife in Taos
- Restaurants in Taos
- Shopping in Taos
- Warnings and Dangers in Taos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Taos
- 13 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Taos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taos
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 120 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos