"A very appealing town" Top 5 Page for this destination Silver City by toonsarah
Silver City Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 134 photos
Silver City was formed in the 1870s, after the discovery of silver in and around the town. It quickly became a boom town, and like many in New Mexico can lay claim to an association with the outlaw Billy the Kid. He lived here as in his teens (some accounts say he was born here, but most that he came with his family from New York), had his first job here, committed his first crime here, and reportedly killed his first man here. He was arrested and briefly imprisoned, before moving on to wreak his havoc elsewhere, most notoriously in Lincoln County.
Meanwhile the silver boom faded, and with its demise Silver (as the locals call it) faded too. But in recent years the town has undergone a revival. And unlike some carefully “restored” old towns it seems unafraid to mix old and new. It has become common to use cheerful paint colours to restore and revive the old buildings, perhaps influenced by the many artists and hippies who have settled here.
Shops on the main street, Bullard, are an idiosyncratic mix of appealing galleries and small-town “not really changed since the 1950s” shops. Residents too seem to be a mix of ageing hippies, relaxed artists working in all genres, university students and lecturers, and assorted drop-outs. We liked Silver a lot – maybe you will too!
And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico, please visit my Gila Cliff Dwellings page.
- In a nutshell:Lots of colour and lots of character
Driving north out of Silver towards the Gila Cliff Dwellings you will pass a half-hidden turning to Pinos Altos. But... more travel advice
We chose this B&B because of its central location and because of the largely favourable reviews we had read, and on the... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Silver City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Silver City Page"
- "A very appealing town"
- "The Odd Culture Clashes of Southwestern New Mexico"
- "7dolphin7's new Silver City Page"
- "Not Much here yet...."
- "Silver City, New Mexico"
- "towhee's Gila Cliff Dwellings Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Silver City
- Hotels in Silver City
- Transportation in Silver City
- Nightlife in Silver City
- Restaurants in Silver City
- Shopping in Silver City
- Warnings and Dangers in Silver City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Silver City
- 9 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Silver City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Silver City
Photos in Silver CitySee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 191 reviews, 540 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 108 reviews, 250 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos