"Getting our kicks ..." Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Rosa by toonsarah
Santa Rosa Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 46 photos
Maybe the elements were finding a way to punish the road that almost destroyed one of the most iconic of all American cultural icons, Route 66. And we were here to visit the Route 66 museum, dedicated to capturing and preserving all that is most symbolic of America’s Mother Road.
The museum is one of these “labour of love” places – one man’s passion for the golden age of American motoring developed into a collection which developed into a museum. And it is in the ideal location. The Santa Rosa section of Route 66 opened in 1930 and the town flourished with the business it brought. Motels, diners, gas stations lined the highway here, and you can still see some reminders of that era lining the historic route that runs parallel to the Interstate. Even if you’re just passing through it would be worth a detour off that road to drive a little bit of its famous antecedent.
I was also interested to read that Santa Rosa's stretch of Route 66 is part of film history. The film of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath was partly shot here, and the director John Ford used Santa Rosa for the memorable train scene in which Tom Joad (played by Henry Fonda) watches a freight train steam over the Pecos River railroad bridge into the sunset. The Grapes of Wrath is one of my favourite books, and I loved the film, so our visit here sent me back to watch and enjoy it again.
And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico please visit Fort Sumner with me.
If you’ve enjoyed your visit to the museum you will want to buy a souvenir perhaps, and one more reasonably priced (and... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Santa Rosa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Getting our kicks ..."
- "Scuba diving capital of the Southwest"
- "Basaic Santa Rosa Page"
- "The Blue Jewel of the Estacado"
- "Santa Rosa"
- "Lunch Stop Along I-40"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santa Rosa
- Hotels in Santa Rosa
- Restaurants in Santa Rosa
- Shopping in Santa Rosa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santa Rosa
- 2 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (174)
Have you been to Santa Rosa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Rosa
Photos in Santa RosaSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 725 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 133 reviews, 344 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue